slouchpie

slouchpie

In :test env I have the usual logger config :point_down:

# Print only warnings and errors during test
config :logger, level: :warning

which means I have a nice clean console if everything passes (and I use capture_log and with_log when necessary).

Something I would very much enjoy is if I could somehow get the :info logs for failed tests only.

It has to be possible, right? Maybe some kind of custom logger that holds the :info logs in memory and only prints them if current test fails?

If it is possible, it would be really nice to be able to write logger config like this:

My wish :point_down:

config :logger, level: [passed: :warning, failed: :info]

Showing Posts 1 to 7

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Here’s how I have my config/test.exs set up:

config :logger, level: System.get_env("LOG_LEVEL", "warning") |> String.to_existing_atom()

Using this, you could run mix test to get the standard warning/error logs, then you could run LOG_LEVEL=info mix test --failed to get more detailed logs for your failed tests (could also use --trace to make it easier to tell which logs apply to which tests, perhaps).

It’s not quite what you’re asking for, but could get you something close to the desired results with very little work involved.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I usually put a Logger.configure(level: level) in the test in question.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Would that need to be cleared/reset at the end of the test?

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

These are useful and good techniques.

However, my wish is for a 0-effort solution that will also catch, say, a “flakey” test that fails sometimes and only when run as part of an entire async test suite. I do not want to have to manually change the log level and re-run tests. I want…magic!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You could generally enable logs and use ExUnit.Case — ExUnit v1.20.2 to show them only in case of errors.

There is however no magic after the fact getting access to already dropped logs.

hauleth

hauleth

In my case I have:

# config/test.exs

config :logger, :console,
  level: String.to_atom(System.get_env("LOGGER_LEVEL", "none"))

# test/test_helper.exs

logs =
  case System.get_env("TEST_LOGS", "all") do
    level when level in ~w[all true] ->
      true

    level when level in ~w[emergency alert critical error warning notice info debug] ->
      [level: String.to_existing_atom(level)]

    "warn" ->
      [level: :warning]

    level when level in ~w[none disabled false] ->
      false
  end

ExUnit.start(
  capture_log: logs
)

And I have 2 separate variable for logs in the terminal and in the error reports.

garrison

garrison

Only marginally on topic here but this is one of the beautiful things about tests which are completely deterministic. When designed correctly you can retroactively re-enable (sometimes expensive) logging without changing the result. Obviously this is difficult to implement in practice, and not always possible :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

HR_Sportograf
Backend Developer for Elixir (F/M/D) - Shape the Future of Sports Photography with Us!(German Version below) About us We are athletes –...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews