simonprev
factori is a library to generate fake data for your tests based on your database schema.
Instead of having to implement a Faker mapper for each data structure in your application, factori enables you to just bootstrap a factory module based on a PostgreSQL database. ![]()
Classic ex_machina factory module in every project:
defmodule Factory do
use ExMachina.Ecto, repo: MyApp.Repo
def user_factory do
%MyApp.User{
first_name: Faker.first_name(),
admin: Enum.random([true, false])
}
end
end
# Then use it in your test cases:
Factory.insert(:user)
Couple of things that factori tries to fix:
- No more forgetting to add a Faker generator for a new field added
- Automatic association handling based on foreign key
- Random data based on database built-in constraint (column size, nullability)
- No more “magic” API that calls the right function based on the suffix
_factory - Easily add “named” variant of data (example: insert an admin user)
The result is pretty simple for the user:
defmodule MyAppTest.Factory do
use Factori, repo: MyApp.Repo, mappings: [Factori.Mapping.Faker]
end
user = MyAppTest.Factory.insert("users")
user.first_name # => "Lorem"
user.last_name # => "Ipsum"
Go check the docs to see all the possibilities with named variants, structs, overrides, mapping, transform, etc
This is an early release, I’m open to comments and API changes ![]()
Trending in Announcing
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.
Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
New
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming









