Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I am using Elixir Desktop (by @dominicletz ) to make an elixir desktop application:

And I am successfully able to launch and manage my app. However, when I close it I always get this error:

[1224/050609.437:ERROR:window_impl.cc(115)] Failed to unregister class Chrome_WidgetWin_0. Error = 203

Animation

Problems

There are actually two issues here

  1. The application takes a very long time to close after I press Quit. The message is received by Phoenix (see the I AM LEAVING log) but for some reason the window takes several seconds to close.
  2. I get the previously mentioned error

Code

At this point 90% of this HelloWorld project is code generated by mix. There are only 2 files I changes that might be relevant here:

menubar.ex

defmodule WebInterface.MenuBar do
  @moduledoc """
    Menubar that is shown as part of the main Window on Windows/Linux. In
    MacOS this Menubar appears at the very top of the screen.
  """
  import WebInterface.Gettext
  use Desktop.Menu
  alias Desktop.Window

  @impl Desktop.Menu
  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <menubar>
      <menu label={gettext("File")}>
          <hr/>
          <item onclick="quit"><%= gettext "Quit" %></item>
      </menu>
      <menu label={gettext("Extra")}>
          <item onclick="browser"><%= gettext "Open Browser" %></item>
      </menu>
    </menubar>
    """
  end

  @impl Desktop.Menu
  def handle_event("quit", menu) do
    IO.puts("I AM LEAVING")
    Window.quit()
    {:noreply, menu}
  end

  def handle_event("browser", menu) do
    WebInterface.Endpoint.url()
    |> Window.prepare_url()
    |> :wx_misc.launchDefaultBrowser()

    {:noreply, menu}
  end

  @impl Desktop.Menu
  def mount(menu) do
    {:ok, menu}
  end

  @impl Desktop.Menu
  def handle_info(:changed, menu) do
    {:noreply, menu}
  end
end

applications.ex

defmodule WebInterface.Application do
  # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Application.html
  # for more information on OTP Applications
  @moduledoc false

  use Application

    alias Desktop

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      WebInterface.Telemetry,
      {Phoenix.PubSub, name: WebInterface.PubSub},
      WebInterface.Endpoint,
      {Desktop.Window,
       [
         app: :web_interface,
         id: WebInterface,
         title: "Web Interface",
         size: {600, 500},
         menubar: WebInterface.MenuBar,
         url: &WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0
       ]}
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: WebInterface.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  @impl true
  def config_change(changed, _new, removed) do
    WebInterface.Endpoint.config_change(changed, removed)
    :ok
  end
end

I am hoping this error is caused by either a miss configuration or some function I am not implementing correctly.

How can I fix this error?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

I’ve definitely seen this before but thought it to be something in my app. Thanks for this minimal example. I’ll have a look into this sometime next week

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

For convience’s sake, here is the MWE app:
https://github.com/Fl4m3Ph03n1x/market_manager/tree/remake

PS: I have added bakeware (GitHub - bake-bake-bake/bakeware: Compile Elixir applications into single, easily distributed executable binaries · GitHub) to the app. It is optional, but it replicates the issue in the exe file, so I think it can be a good point of reference as well.

And thank you for having a look at this!

The only thing I found was this old post for 2016:
https://github.com/seleniumhq/selenium-google-code-issue-archive/issues/4759

Not sure what to do with it to be honest, specially when I don’t even have Chrome on my VM, I only use Firefox.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

@dominicletz Hey there, did you have some time to check the application out? If there is something I can do to help (that fits my limited ability within this domain) please do share!

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

Well I did push an update to elixir-desktop that should cause the app now to instantly close. Please check that out and let me know if it works

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Is it in the tag v1.4.0?

Or directly in the master branch ?

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Hey I tested with master. I can confirm the application now closes faster, however there are still 2 issues:

ezgif.com-gif-maker

  1. If I go to File -> Quit, the application still get the error:
[0114/030715.062:ERROR:window_impl.cc(115)] Failed to unregister class Chrome_WidgetWin_0. Error = 0
  1. If I close the app by pressing the X on the top right corner I get a crash:
03:11:29.145 [notice] Application web_interface exited: shutdown
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_terminated,web_interface,shutdown}"}
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_terminated,web_interface,shutdown})

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done
[0114/031131.011:ERROR:window_impl.cc(115)] Failed to unregister class Chrome_WidgetWin_0. Error = 0

It could be because I am running in PROD, perhaps the crash happens due to a missconfig, but I have no data to support that.

Additionally, it looks like the process takes quite a time to exit. Not sure why.

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

So in 1) it’s closing immediately but in 2) it just crashes? I’ll check what’s going on there.

Unfortunately the error message is coming directly from chrome https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=113008 and is a know open issue. I don’t see an immediate way to get rid of it.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

I feel there is nothing else o be done here. I will close this answer as your PR to master did fix the main issue.
Feel free to let me know when a new release is coming :smiley:

I have also just noticed that you now have it on hexpm !
Cool!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews