feviskus
Hello there,
I inherited a rather complicated LiveComponent from a colleague: due to complex JS there’s no render/1 function, only update/2.
I have a hook which publishes an event to said component, which should then start an async operation on the backend.
@impl true
def handle_event("classify-users", _params, socket) do
socket =
socket
|> start_async(:perform_classification, fn ->
raise "Some error"
end)
{:noreply, socket}
end
I expect this code to eventually call the handle_async callback:
@impl true
def handle_async(:perform_classification, {:exit, reason}, socket) do
Logger.error("Could not perform classification: #{reason}")
{:noreply,
push_event(socket, "classification-finished", %{class: "Error #{reason}"})}
end
However, the component simply crashes and I don’t know why it never executes said handle_async function.
Any idea?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tcoopman
The following is just a guess, I’m on my phone so can’t check it out.
A live component lives in the same process of the liveview. Maybe the error can be caught on the liveview itself?
As I said this is just a guess, it could be something completely different.
feviskus
thanks, but after careful investigation I came to the conclusion that it’s a layer 8 problem:
The
:exit-matching function was indeed called but not logged as the interpolation of#{reason}raises an Exception ifreasonis a tuple…Using
"#{inspect(reason)}"instead.