arjan

arjan

In some corporate environments we’re experiencing that WebSocket transport is not working, because it is blocked by a proxy. The longpolling fallback of Phoenix JS seems only to check whether global.WebSocket is set or not, but does not do any smartness in the case that the browser supports WebSockets but the connection somehow is blocked.

Is there a way to automatically detect whether websockets are working and if not, switching to long polling? Before I start hacking JS, has anybody been doing something in this direction?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

krstfk

krstfk

Hi I had a similar issue, and I found the information from this thread to be useful and the code posted there (I’m not sure about the author’s name) does what you want :

socket.onError(() => {
  if (navigator.onLine) {
    console.error(`Error connecting using ${socket.transport == window.WebSocket ? 'WebSocket' : 'LongPoll'}`)
    if (socket.transport == window.WebSocket) socket.transport = LongPoll;
    else if (window.WebSocket) socket.transport = window.WebSocket;
  }
});

There are other examples (I believe in some github issue) of how to tackle this.

Edit : the linlk to the aforementioned github issue is given by Chris McCord In the same thread

arjan

arjan OP

Thanks, this is indeed an elegant solution.

Here is also a link to the suggested implementation by @chrismccord

Exadra37

Exadra37

It seems that doesn’t work fully as expected as discussed at Live view fallback with no websocket? - #12 by chrismccord

florish

florish

For anyone running into these kinds of errors, the best working solution for this currently seems to be this code snippet posted by @josevalim (September 2020) here:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/issues/2914#issuecomment-693562742

As said in the issue thread, no guarantees about whether this works, but sharing this link might save some people a few steps in their research :smile:

walter

walter

For reference, Longpoll Fallback has been officially implemented in Phoenix, but will only take effect for newly generated apps.

For existing apps, after upgrading to Phoenix 1.7.11 or later, you should be able to do something like this (adjust to your situation):

# in MyAppWeb.Endpoint, adjust the socket/3 call to configure longpoll in addition to web socket
  socket "/live", Phoenix.LiveView.Socket,
    websocket: [connect_info: [session: @session_options]],
    longpoll: [connect_info: [session: @session_options]]

// in assets/js/app.js
// adjust LiveSocket configuration to declare`longPollFallbackMs` 
let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  longPollFallbackMs: 2500,
  params: {_csrf_token: csrfToken}
})

Also make sure your Phoenix JS packages are up-to-date as well.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

Potions
A new screencast on live LiveView updates with PubSub, the Oban Web dashboard, and smarter retries. Part 2 of 2. Screencast + full walkth...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews