dogweather

dogweather

The answer is probably no but I thought I’d try:

Is there a way to write Elixir functions that can be invoked by a Rails app as efficiently as a Ruby library? Most of my new Rails development is in the form of Ruby libs for parsing and string manipulation, used during a web apps’ request cycle. In my app, I keep requests < 100ms.

I’d much rather write all new code in Elixir, but the only way I know to call it from Rails is as a web microservice.

(As I write this, I’m thinking about how ridic fast a stateless, logic-only Elixir web microservice can be: sub-millisecond. So I ought to have time to make a call to one during a Rails server’s response. And this might be my answer.)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

No. Elixir compiles to BEAM byte code, and that byte code can only be run on the BEAM.

Right, your Ruby service could just make an HTTP call to the Elixir service. Ideally in time your Elixir service could handle the root request directly.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the use case?

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

Just a crazy thought. What if you ran the elixir application in the same OS as the rails app? Then you could make keep-alive requests from Ruby to elixir. It’s not going to be as fast as native Ruby, but it would be fine in a lot of cases.

dogweather

dogweather OP

That’s the dream.

Sure — here’s a page from my Rails app: Texas Election Code Section 15.005 – Notice of Identification Requirements

I’m working on hyperlinking textual references like Chapter 63 and Section 13.142. And I’m doing this with many bodies of law.

The key logic is,

  1. Scan a law’s body for references like these.
  2. Convert each “relative reference” to a full citation (“absolute reference”).

The web app, then, can use the full citations to generate HTML links.

dogweather

dogweather OP

That’s interesting, essentially a long-lasting client/server session.

dogweather

dogweather OP

Is there any way to expose Beam processes as dynamincally linked native libraries? If so, then Ruby FFI could work.

hauleth

hauleth

In theory yes, in practice it would be easier to do the other way around - implement Ruby VM as a NIF in BEAM. However if such cooperation is needed then I would look for ports or C-Nodes. The last one when ran on the same machine should result with pretty nice performance and API.

sribe

sribe

You could certainly skip HTTP, have Elixir just reading from Unix domain socket(s), commands in whatever stripped-down format you want to come up with, and the same for writing results back. (Communications over domain sockets is ridiculously fast.)

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Could always build a BEAM node in Ruby too, they’d communicate by normal message passing then.

Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

I don’t get the use case, but something “doable” if elixir/erlang are available in the same machine, could be to make system calls (eg with backticks syntax) to elixir… But this is highly tinkering..

Anyway good luck and interested to read more about your journey..

hauleth

hauleth

Known as C Nodes (despotę the name, these do not need to be written in C).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews