krasenyp

krasenyp

Hi everyone. I have an interesting case at work. I’m developing a service which ingest data from an external data provider via an exclusive AMQP queue. Since it’s an exclusive queue, when the consumer disconnects, the queue gets destroyed and having more than one queues means I have to de-duplicate messages. My task is to minimize the chance of missing messages in case of flaky connection or if something happens to the container the service is running in.

By using supervision, I can minimize the missed messages when the connection is flaky but how to handle containers crashing? I’ve identified two ways to tackle the problem both of them presume a cluster of at least two instances of the services. One approach is to register the AMQP connection process as a global process by using :global or horde. The second approach consists of creating a process group with :pg and synchronize the connection and channel where the queue is declared. I couldn’t manage to make it working reliably when nodes are started at the same time.

Are there any alternatives and am I missing something? What approach would you advise me to use? Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ideally, the external data provider needs to require that you ACKnowledge data that you receive. This way if the connection crashes, they can re-send data that they dont’ have acknowledged. This requires some minor de-duplification on your end but it also guarantees that you don’t miss messages.

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

The problem is the queue is exclusive and when the service reconnects, a new query is created and all the messages between the lost connection and the reconnect are lost.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This is an intrinsically fault intolerant design. This cannot be made to not drop messages without changing something about that. You can try to minimize faults by keeping things online as much as possible, but the very idea of “fault tolerance” is that a fault can happen, but things can recover.

krasenyp

krasenyp OP

For the sake of continuity, I managed to minimize the possibility of losing messages with a two-node cluster, using horde to manage a global AMQP connection. If a connection dies, it gets restarted, and if a node dies, the connection is restarted on the other node. It’s not perfect but it’s better than nothing.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews