Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

I recently released a new error tracker Faulty, based largely on error_tracker, but instead of hosting your errors locally it sends them to the accompanying FaultyTower website.

Errors are tracked from Logger and telemetry events, integrations are available for Phoenix, Plug, Oban and Quantum.

Installation is as simple as mix igniter.install faulty.

The FaultyTower website allows you to create users, organizations and projects within those organizations.

You can be notified of new errors by e-mail, integration with ntfy.sh or Github issues.

https://github.com/Hermanverschooten/faulty

Showing Posts 1 to 6

martosaur

martosaur

I for one welcome more logging libraries.

One question that’s been bothering me as a fellow logging enthusiast. Why do “integrations” telemetry handlers report errors directly? Wouldn’t it make more sense to log them as a report and then let logger handler pick them up? I understand that literally every logging library does that so I it may just be a decision taken from them, but maybe you have thoughts on that while everything is fresh in your memory?

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

Shouldn’t the website be called FattyOwls instead?

Sorry couldn’t help myself. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

Do you know of a way to have the logger handler pick them up?
It would make a difference as I now have to check that errors aren’t reported twice.

martosaur

martosaur

I imagine it would be something like this:

  def handle_event([:oban, :job, :exception], _measurements, metadata, :no_config) do
    %{kind: kind, reason: reason, stacktrace: stacktrace, job: job} = metadata
    state = Map.get(metadata, :state, :failure)

    error = Exception.normalize(kind, reason, stacktrace)

    Exception.format(kind, reason, stacktrace)
    |> Logger.error(crash_reason: {error, stacktrace}, state: state)
  end

So we still attach to the telemetry event, but log the message instead of reporting it directly to Faulty bypassing the logging stack.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten OP

I don’t think that will work as in lots of the cases there will already have been an error logged.

I know because I had to add a mechanism so I wouldn’t report them twice.

Nezteb

Nezteb

Regarding the name of “FaultyTower”, at first I thought this was an integration with :tower, another Elixir error library: tower | Hex (an integration would be neat though!)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ausimian
Castle is a package I put together to assist with building Elixir releases capable of being live-upgraded via the ‘official’ release hand...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews