Favorite programming chair?

office

Just to followup. I’ve now been in that bungee chair for 4 months and it’s still great. I recommend them to everybody now.

There are two clear advantages to the squat desk option that people seem to overlook too often:

• no need to pay for a spacious office, as one only needs the comfiness of his lavatory
  • no time wasted going to the loo anymore.

This said, I agree with @jxm that there is no silver bullet. Even a $2000 chair won’t cut it (before reading this topic I though that $1000 would be the most expensive it could get…), as our bodies are not meant to stay in the same position for 10+ hours every day. Nowadays I use a standard desktop chair, and my back hurt a little so I got a second-hand kneeling chair to use for a while, and intend to buy an exercise ball again as last time I used one it helped a lot getting my posture straight.

I also got a plan in my head for the perfect programming space: both the screens and a tablet for the keyboard and mouse could be moved easily thanks to long articulate arms, so that one could change his position quickly and effortlessly from as low as sitting on the floor, to squatting (as I just learned that’s a thing outside of Russian ghettos), to sitting on any kind of chair, to standing (height adjustable desks only account for the 2 last options). Only the hamster wheel wouldn’t really work with that idea… too bad :stuck_out_tongue:

I use a Herman Miller Embody, and a Varidesk Pro + standing mat.

Usually 2/3-ish of my working day standing; 1/3-ish sitting.

That plus some basic strength training has eliminated back problems (at least so far, touch wood.)