zac

zac

Has anyone built a Phoenix / Ash / LiveView app that supports server suspension, without getting a nasty user experience in the process?

Every time our server suspends, whatever view I’m on turns into a big white page with:

Internal Server Error

Hitting refresh brings it back to life, sometimes you have to refresh twice, but it more-or-less picks up at a reasonable spot (not necessarily exactly where you were, but close enough).

The problem, of course, is the unpleasant “Internal Server Error.” I want that to go away.

I’m not even sure it’s possible, really – in which case, we leave a machine running all the time. But hoping someone has some experience on the topic.

Here’s a look at the logs as the app goes through a suspend/resume cycle. I’m not running debug level yet, so not a lot of info here:

2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]07:39:00.761 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.4659.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp recv (idle): closed
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]07:39:00.765 request_id=GGfKbJC6d6JrX-QAAAjR [error] ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp recv (idle): closed
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ecto_sql 3.13.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:1098: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.raise_sql_call_error/1
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ecto_sql 3.13.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:996: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute/6
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ecto 3.13.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:241: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.execute/4
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ecto 3.13.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:19: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.all/3
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ecto 3.13.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:145: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.exists?/3
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ash_sql 0.2.93) lib/aggregate_query.ex:119: anonymous fn/5 in AshSql.AggregateQuery.add_single_aggs/5
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:2546: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
2025-09-23T07:39:00Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]    (ash_sql 0.2.93) lib/aggregate_query.ex:81: AshSql.AggregateQuery.run_aggregate_query/4
2025-09-23T07:39:01Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]07:39:01.609 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.4660.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp recv (idle): closed
2025-09-23T07:44:54Z proxy[2860103b762e38] iad [info]App waste-walk has excess capacity, autosuspending machine 2860103b762e38. 0 out of 1 machines left running (region=iad, process group=app)
2025-09-23T07:44:56Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]Virtual machine has been suspended
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z proxy[2860103b762e38] iad [info]Starting machine
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.782463043 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:main] Running Firecracker v1.12.1
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.782590762 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:main] Listening on API socket ("/fc.sock").
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.782800962 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:fc_api] API server started.
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.784474288 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:fc_api] The API server received a Get request on "/".
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.784495308 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:fc_api] The request was executed successfully. Status code: 200 OK.
2025-09-23T07:58:46Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]2025-09-23T07:58:46.784820917 [01K5SPF8VBK4G6FEJTKMM9PZ4V:fc_api] The API server received a Put request on "/logger" with body "{\"log_path\":\"logs.fifo\",\"level\":\"info\"}".
2025-09-23T07:58:47Z runner[2860103b762e38] iad [info]Machine started in 343ms
2025-09-23T07:58:47Z proxy[2860103b762e38] iad [info]machine started in 352.485279ms
2025-09-23T07:58:47Z proxy[2860103b762e38] iad [info]machine became reachable in 9.492925ms
2025-09-23T07:58:47Z app[2860103b762e38] iad [info]07:58:47.099 request_id=GGfZp_tRZwZy9CcAAAFC [info] GET /sign-in

Showing Posts 1 to 6

sevenseacat

sevenseacat

Author of Ash Framework

I think the question is, why is the server suspending if there is still a socket connection open :thinking:

zac

zac OP

Hmmm…

Well, my reasoning there would be… (btw, I’m using Fly.io and their autosuspend, and I don’t know exactly how they determine it’s ok to suspend…):

  1. I’m keeping the socket open (keep my browser open)…
  2. But, zero activity over the socket (is there a ‘keep alive ping’ on a socket? I’ve no idea)…
  3. So server autosuspend sees zilch traffic, zilch CPU, decides to passivate…?

Which potentially makes sense. If someone goes home at the end of the day, but leaves their browser open, shouldn’t the server eventually suspend? (Probably).

But all that reasoning brings me around to, is there a way to control timeout on the socket and then do something (redirect back to login page or something like that)? I’m not an LV expert – don’t know what options there are.

In my ideal (probably unreasonably so) world, there’d be a way for the server to suspend mid-stream, yet still recover when it wakes up at exactly the same spot, no user interruption. I suppose my second-best option would be, get a “hey, server is about to suspend…” event from somewhere and do something about it.

/edit/
Fly.io does have this interesting tidbit on their blog, but it’s not quite what I’m looking for. First, don’t really want to shut down the app (I want it to maintain state). Second, this probably wouldn’t work, since it’s looking for zero connections as a trigger, while I’m trying to gracefully suspend when there are (passive) connections…

/edit/
One more observation… for whatever reason. iOS seems to handle this better than Arc (Chrome) desktop. Arc gets the “Internal Server Error” while iOS does an automatic refresh, and reconnects gracefully. A few times I’ve gotten the “trying to reconnect” flash on iOS, but again, graceful. grrrrr. Why is Chrome being bad. :frowning:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There are heartbeats on the socket. They’re needed to detect connection issues where the connection thinks it’s fine, but no data makes it through.

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

I have a feeling LiveView + auto-suspending the server will bring you a lot of headaches, probably not a good fit.

One of the hardest parts of working with LiveView is managing what happens on disconnection and reconnection, how the UI is affected, ensuring a seamless user experience.

Intentionally disconnecting the server will lead to lots of such reconnection states, which either means you’re going to learn all the tricks to make it work great, or users will have a bad experience with unexpected page behavior.

The “live” in LiveView is the assumption that you want a realtime connection between server and client, such that either server and client can send events to each other anytime. If there’s no connection between them, then the server cannot initiate a reconnection on its own.

zac

zac OP

Thanks… appreciate the feedback. For now, I’ll make sure at least 1 server stays awake.

Maybe long-term… since our app has periodic usage cycles with long pauses in-between, I’ll look into a possible solution. I think it would have to be “driven” by the app though – meaning, if the app decides “hey, I’ve been idle a while,” maybe it could trigger passivation.

Either that or talk with Fly about why they are passivating a server with active websocks… :wink:

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

Hey @zac

If at some point in time you go from N servers down to 1 (or really just any of the servers suspend), then a fraction of your connected users will be impacted.

I understand you’re only considering this idling behavior as a cost saving mechanism? If that’s the case, consider whether a VPS on Hetzner, Digital Ocean, etc would serve your needs at a lower price point. I know choosing a vendor here is not trivial, and will affect deployments, existing contracts and business relationships, …

Yeah, I would be curious to hear what their support would suggest. AFAIK they are users of Elixir and Phoenix LiveView, so there must be in-house expertise to orient you.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews