patryk.it
Hi guys!
My question is related to the file encoding topic. I’m working on a feature that allows users to upload a CSV file that might be in different charset. It’s not only about UTF-8 and I need to detect given encoding and then parse data.
In Golang, Python, Java, C++, Objective-C we have UniversalDetector/chardet libraries. Do we have something similar to the Elixir/Erlang usage? I’m stuck with this.
How are you working with the different charsets/encodings in Elixir applications? I know - that’s not the main problem to which was designed this language, but I won’t use erlports or AWS Lambda only for detecting charset. ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Hi
I was working on an old idea of a “Soft PLC” written on top of Elixir. It was too much work but with the advent of better AI I though...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
nimble_csv supports converting data to utf-8 before parsing / converting from utf-8 before dumping. By default it even ships
NimbleCSV.Spreadsheet, which uses utf-16 le to work with excel csv’s. But you’ll need to setup a module per encoding.patryk.it
Thanks for your reply.
You’re right - NimbleCSV supports encoding converting (via
:encodingoption), but my problem is that I don’t know the encoding of the incoming file. It may be UTF-8 or many different, like these with German characters.When I’m trying to parse a CSV with German characters I got
Meh. Do I need to port
chardetfrom the other languages? I’m stuck with this problem.LostKobrakai
I know that’s why I explicitly only quoted you asking for the parsing part.
Generally I’d suggest you trying utf-16 le. If the csv comes out of excel this will be the encoding. If you really need the dark arts of detecting encoding (especially if no byte order mark is set) then you’ll need to wait for the input of people more knowledgeable in that than myself.
I’ve by now just let people copy and paste out of excel into a textarea, which results in csv format getting pasted as well.
NobbZ
There is no way to get what you want.
Ask your clients to upload using a specified charset only.
If you see the single byte
0xC4, that could be a latin-1 encodedÄ, though in ISO-8859-5 (kyrillic) it would be as valid as with latin-1 though encoding a different character, theФ.Therefore it is impossible to detect the encoding without knowing the content in advance.
What you describe from the other languages, is usually a very dumb heuristic.
patryk.it
Anyway thanks a lot for trying to help! Yes, I don’t have BOM set in these files.
I’m waiting for encoding hero.
harmon25
Tried out a package today called ExMagic that is a nif wrapper around ‘libmagic’… If running the ‘file’ Unix command helps determine the text encoding (not sure if it does) you might get something meaningful from ExMagic by passing it some raw binary… could get away with just the first 2kb or so of the file
ondrej-tucek
I think that the
filecmd does, see lesmana’s reply. In shortThere are also another unix cmds: enca or uchardet. So connect them via ports…
harmon25
Nice!
Not sure if the ExMagic package is running the code with the equivalent option to
-ito actually get back the encoding - think it just returns the mime… might be an easy tweak though.evadne
The libMagic route is definitely worth considering. I have a library for that. Low profile, but working.
https://github.com/evadne/gen_magic
harmon25
I ended up using ExMagic as it is just a Niff wrapper without any processes/gen_server.
I am curious though, you mention this:
Is that really necessary? I may not fully understand Niffs - does calling a niff function get serialized somehow? I figured if you were calling the niff from say multiple beam processes they would all just invoke the C code independently of each other, and not require being wrapped in a pool for concurrent access?