cvkmohan

cvkmohan

Anyone felt the need for shrinerb/shrine: File Attachment toolkit for Ruby applications (github.com) sort of a library in Phoenix?
There is elixir-waffle/waffle: Flexible file upload and attachment library for Elixir (github.com) - but - not actively maintained - and - not LiveView compatible.
Phoenix LiveView does support File Uploads in a very beautiful way - it supports drag and drop, upload progress and cancel partial uploads etc. - but - boilerplate code is necessary to process the uploaded file into even local system.
Rails has two main solutions to the same problem. Rails framework itself supports ActiveStorage and then we have Shrine. Adding a file to a model is as simple as declaring any other attribute. Image Processing, Cloud Storage, Updating the Model with processed file string are all supported - and - via plugins.
Do you think such a library will help in Phoenix as well? Or there any limitations due to immutability etc.? Shrine supports ROM also which is similar to Ecto. So, in my view there should not be any issues.
But, I would want to hear your thoughts.
What problems do you perceive, if we mimic and translate Shrine into elixir?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

karlosmid

karlosmid

Hi, maybe arc-ecto could help you:
https://github.com/stavro/arc_ecto

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I am using live file upload with waffle and waffle-ecto.

Rails use polymorphic links (type + id)

I think arc is even less maintained than waffle :slight_smile:

cvkmohan

cvkmohan OP

@karlosmid - waffle is a clone of arc - because arc was not being maintained.
@kokolegorille -

  1. any github/gist links for the setup with LiveView and Waffle?
  2. I agree - polymorphic links can be a bottleneck.
    Personally, I feel waffle itself needs an upgrade - It should include akash-akya/vix: Elixir extension for libvips (github.com) or kipcole9/image: Image processing for Elixir (github.com) and delegate image processing to such libraries. A few more requirements as well. Let me see if I can get inspired from all these resources and produce something useful.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews