Finch: Failed to lookup telemetry handlers

I have a simple Mix Task in one of my projects for making a request to a service with Finch. Here is a simple example of doing such a thing.

defmodule Mix.Tasks.Example.Request do
  use Mix.Task

def run([]) do
    Finch.start_link(name: MyFinch)

Finch.build(:get, "https://github.com")
    |> Finch.request(MyFinch)
  end
end

If I run this with mix example.request, I get the following output:

$ mix example.request
Compiling 1 file (.ex)

09:47:57.913 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:57.920 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:57.921 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:57.921 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.160 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.161 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.162 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.162 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.388 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

09:47:58.388 [warning] Failed to lookup telemetry handlers. Ensure the telemetry application has been started. 

The request completes as expected, but I get all of these warnings related to my telemetry application not being started. I don’t want to start any telemetry application, though. It’s a simple one-off Mix task that has nothing to do with the rest of my app per se and I don’t want to run app.start or similar.

Interestingly, if I do the same thing with a simple exs script, I get no warnings.

Mix.install([:finch])

Finch.start_link(name: MyFinch)

Finch.build(:get, "https://github.com")
|> Finch.request(MyFinch)

I have three questions:

1. Why do I get these warnings?
  2. How can I silence them?
  3. Why do they only show up when run in a Mix task within the application, but not in a standalone Mix install script? I’m guessing something specified in my mix.exs file or in my config.exs file(s) is causing this, but not sure which.

Cheers,

Found it. The discrepancy lies in the fact that Mix.install/1 starts the application for each dependency by default.

Solution is to just add Application.ensure_started(:telemetry) at the beginning of the Mix task.

1 Like