vishal-h
We have used GitHub - BlakeWilliams/Elixir-Slack: Slack real time messaging and web API client in Elixir · GitHub to write a slack-bot. The question is not about the library but about Elixir. The bot is run as a worker with name :slack_bot under a supervisor.
During tests, the bot was run from multiple nodes (boxes). Now we have a situation where 2 bots respond whenever a message is sent. Unfortunately we don’t know where the second bot is running from.
The question is given the process name (:slack_bot), can we check if an Elixir process with that name is running on a box?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
You can probably use Process — Elixir v1.20.2.
vishal-h
That wouldn’t work because it needs to run from within iex and it would return nil.
rvirding
Process.whereis/1can be called from any function but it does need to be run on the node which it is checking. You could do something like::rpc.call(node_name, Process, :whereis, [:slack_bot])which would tell you if there is a process with the registered name
:slack_botrunning on it and return its pid. I don’t know of an Elixir equivalent module to:rpc.vishal-h
I tried :rpc.call using node name obtained from epmd -names (something like :nodename@hostname)
but I get the error {:badrpc, :nodedown}.
However if I connect to :nodename@hostname and run the command it shows the pid correctly
And from iex>Node.ping(:nodename@hostname) gives :pang
So the node is very much up and running.
vishal-h
Not sure if it is something to do with cookies?
rvirding
Actually if the node is up and running then
Node.ping/1should return:pong.Yes, getting the cookies right is critical. I had assumed that this part of the handling of distribution had been solved. How have you started the nodes with “sname” or with “name”? They have to be done in the same way, and it does affect the node names.
vishal-h
The image explains it better I think. I still get :pang
Nodes are started with name (not sname)
ityonemo
are you inside containers or some sort of orchestration system? It’s possible that you might need to allow access to epmd ports, and it’s possible that 127.0.0.1 doesn’t mean the same thing for each node?
NobbZ
The cookies are different, the right one has a colon at the start, the left doesn’t have that.
vishal-h
OMG How did that happen?
I copied the result of Node.get_cookie - including the colon - while starting the other node.
It works fine and apologies to the good people here who had to rake their brains over a silly mistake.
Well, the colon killed my weekend