papasmurf22

papasmurf22

hi everyone,
I have the simple problem of “Find the first recurring character in a string” that I can easily think about solving in an OO language with a for loop and a counter variable but am wondering how you would solve this “the functional way”.

i.e: If “ABCDAHWX” was passed in to the function as argument you would return the first recurring character “A”.

What is the FP way to do this in elixir? Would u use recursion or maybe matching on function parameters?

Thank you for your time

Showing Posts 1 to 10

idi527

idi527

Same way, probably.

defmodule Test do
  def first_recurring(str) do
    do_first_recurring(str, [])
  end

  defp do_first_recurring(<<letter, rest::bytes>>, chars) do
    if letter in chars do
      <<letter>>
    else
      do_first_recurring(rest, [letter | chars])
    end
  end
  defp do_first_recurring("", _chars), do: nil
end

Not particularly efficient, but should provide you with a general idea.

iex(2)> Test.first_recurring("ABCDAHWX")
"A"
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d use Enum.reduce_while:

result = Enum.reduce_while(String.graphemes("ABCDAHWX"), [], fn character, prev ->
  if character in prev, do: {:halt, character}, else: {:cont, [character | prev]}
end)

with char when is_binary(char) <- result do
  char
else
  [_ | _] -> :no_duplicates
end
papasmurf22

papasmurf22 OP

awesome thank you. This taught me a bunch of things. Just to be clear, you do “(<<letter, rest::bytes>>, chars)” in the first private function because you’re matching a binary of unknown size?

Thank you

idi527

idi527

Just to be clear, you do “(<<letter, rest::bytes>>, chars)” in the first private function because you’re matching a binary of unknown size?

Yes, I thought letter <> rest would work, but it didn’t …

jamesnorton

jamesnorton

I would uses a regular expression for this.

iex(1)> reg = ~r/(.).*?\1/
~r/(.).*?\1/
iex(2)> s = "ABCDAHWX"
"ABCDAHWX"
iex(3)> Regex.run(reg, s)
["ABCDA", "A"]

The regular expression uses a capture group to match a single character and then a back reference to the captured value to match the repeated character.

papasmurf22

papasmurf22 OP

this seems like a super elegant solution. thank you. if one were a regex beginner are there any resources besides the Elixir Regex docs that you’d recommend?

peerreynders

peerreynders

https://www.regular-expressions.info/

https://regexr.com/ set the RegEx Engine to PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions)

jamesnorton

jamesnorton

I’m fond of https://elixre.lpil.uk/ as well.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

When doing it in pure Ellixir, the solutions by @idi527 and @LostKobrakai are, when you use a (map)set to check for duplicates rather than a list, about as fast as you can do it. Of course, I expect the regular expression version to be faster, because it will run closer to the metal (its internal algorithm will however be very similar).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews