ijdickinson

ijdickinson

I’m writing a Wallaby test for a select element that looks something like this:

<select id="status-select" name="status">
   <option selected="" value="b9259ffd-a2de-488f-85f0-567d1e9a7159">new</option>  
   <option value="f56f5249-0920-4747-8e89-e8b07ba1a5e8">assigned</option>
</select>

The value attributes on the options are auto-assigned each time by the back-end system. So in order to be able to call Wallaby.Browser.set_value/3, I need to first query the page to find the current value for the option. My code to do that is:

value_fixture = Browser.find(
  session, 
  Query.css("#status-select > option:nth-child(2)", visible: false)
)
|> Element.attr("value")

If I execute the query expression in the browser console with a document.querySelectorAll(), it finds the right element for me.

image

But Wallaby doesn’t:

** (Wallaby.QueryError) Expected to find 1 invisible element that matched
the css ‘#status-select > option:nth-child(2)’, but 0 invisible elements were found.

Is there some other way to query the options of a select using Wallaby that I should be using?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

michallepicki

michallepicki

web drivers sometimes work in mysterious ways, did you try without visible: false?

ijdickinson

ijdickinson OP

Argh. PEBCaK!

My fixture set-up had a bug, so the page that Wallaby was seeing didn’t actually have the set of statuses it should have have, and so the :nth-child() sub-expression was failing.

Doh.

vanderhoop

vanderhoop

A couple questions.

  1. What are you trying to test, exactly? I ask because you’re not interacting with the option element as a user would, but rather querying for its value. Depending on what you’re trying to test (just that the values are presented as options), you may be able to move this test out of wallaby entirely.
  2. If the intent is to have the webdriver select a particular option as a user would, my tests that interaction with select/option elements use click(css("option[value=theValueIWantToSelect]"))
ijdickinson

ijdickinson OP

The goal is to be able to select an option in a select element, where the value attribute of the option can only be known at run time. In your example:

click(css("option[value=theValueIWantToSelect]"))

the actual value of theValueIWantToSelect will change each time the page is built. Hence the first step in writing the test is to query the page to get the current value of the option’s value attribute, and then to use that value in a call to Browser.set_value, which emulates the user’s interaction. Or, indeed, call click as in your example.

ijdickinson

ijdickinson OP

One final note for future reference: although it’s not (afaics), mentioned in the docs, but when setting the value of a select element, Wallaby.Browser.set_value/3 needs the text of the option to select, not the value.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews