First application deployed to Gigalixir, no CSS or JS compiled

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of deploying to Gigalixir with an umbrella app and realising you have no compiled assets? I’ve managed to deploy, the only configuration I can see for triggering the compilation of assets is the package.json in assets. However, I can’t confirm if this is ever run.

The documentation suggests seems to assume that you’re running a web application in the repo root, I think. So it’s fair to assume it might not get run but I am unsure how to actually troubleshoot it.

Any advice for a new to Elixir / Phoenix novice?

RobL

I’ve been on support thread with the wonderful team at Gigalixir. So the documentation states that you simply place ./assets/package.json in the root of your repo.

{
  "scripts": {
    "deploy": "cd ../ && mix assets.deploy && rm -f _build/esbuild*"
  }
}

However, since this was an umbrella app I assumed it shoul go into the root of the web application. It would appear that Gigalixir always look for the existence of ./assets/package.json in the root of the repo. But I needed the script to be run in the context of the nested web application.

{
  "scripts": {
    "deploy": "cd ../apps/my_umbrella_app_red_web && mix assets.deploy && rm -f _build/esbuild*"
  }
}

Problem solved, and now I realise I can ssh to the container that was good to confirm the assets actually built at all and ensure they are built in the correct location.

Thanks Gigalixir.

4 Likes