taro

taro

I’m overthinking FizzBuzz in Elixir, refactoring everything possible Elixir way.

Now I’m trying to find a recursive way to put an IO list together so it will result in ["Fizz", ["Buzz"]]. But I’m quite stuck, recursion is difficult to grasp. So I’ve decided to ask smarter people.

defmodule FizzBuzz do
  ...

  def change(num) do
    # Recurse in with an integer in closure
    # Recurse out leaving string each step
  end

  defp name_multiple(num) when rem(num, 3) == 0, do: "Fizz"
  defp name_multiple(num) when rem(num, 5) == 0, do: "Buzz"
  defp name_multiple(_), do: ""
end

I’m not asking for the simpler solutions of FizzBuzz. I want to join FizzBuzz instead of returning them separately, so it’s more extensible. I also tried to use multi-clause functions and guards as much as I can.

My previous solution is

defmodule FizzBuzz do
  @moduledoc """
  Name multiples. 

    * Multiples of 3 => "Fizz"
    * Multiples of 5 => "Buzz"

  Concatenates when many are applicable.

    * Multiples of 3 and 5 => "FizzBuzz"

  Unapplicable numbers remain intact.
  """

  @spec list(integer) :: list
  def list(max) when is_integer(max), do: list(1..max)

  @spec list(Enumerable.t()) :: list
  def list(enum), do: Enum.map(enum, &change/1)

  @spec change(integer) :: integer | String.t()
  def change(num) do
    num
    |> prefer(fizz(num))
    |> prefer(buzz(num))
  end

  defp prefer(old, new) when not new, do: old
  defp prefer(old, new) when not is_binary(old), do: new
  defp prefer(old, new), do: old <> new

  defp fizz(num) when rem(num, 3) == 0, do: "Fizz"
  defp fizz(_), do: false

  defp buzz(num) when rem(num, 5) == 0, do: "Buzz"
  defp buzz(_), do: false
end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Adzz

Adzz

So the thing with recursion is you first want to ensure you know the conditions under which you want to stop recuring.

In this case that’s not clear, but I assume you want to halt once you have reached some maximum number of iterations. So let’s first call a recursive function, but implement the break condition:

defmodule FizBuzz do
  def change(max) do
     change(max, [], max - 1)
  end

  def change(_number, result, iterations) when iterations == 0 do
    result
  end 
end

If we call it like this FizzBuzz.change(0) we will be returned [].

Now we can add the other conditions

defmodule FizBuzz do
  def change(max) do
     change(max, [], max)
  end

  def change(number, result, iterations) when iterations <= 0 do
    result
  end

  def change(number, result, iterations) when rem(number, 15) == 0 do 
    change(number - 1, ["FizzBuzz" | result], iterations - 1)
  end

  def change(number, result, iterations) when rem(number, 5) == 0 do
    change(number - 1, ["Buzz" | result], iterations - 1)
  end

  def change(number, result, iterations) when rem(number, 3) == 0 do
    change(number - 1, ["Fizz" | result], iterations - 1)
  end

  def change(number, result, iterations) do
    change(number - 1, [number | result], iterations - 1)
  end
end
100phlecs

100phlecs

I want to join FizzBuzz instead of returning them separately, so it’s more extensible

Here’s what I came up with.

defmodule FizzBuzz do
  def convert(num, lst \\ [])
  def convert(num, lst) when rem(num, 5) == 0, do: num |> extract(5) |> convert(["Buzz" | lst])
  def convert(num, lst) when rem(num, 3) == 0, do: num |> extract(3) |> convert(["Fizz" | lst])
  def convert(_num, lst) when length(lst) > 0, do: lst
  def convert(num, _lst), do: num

  defp extract(num, factor) when rem(num, factor) == 0, do: num |> div(factor) |> extract(factor)
  defp extract(num, _factor), do: num
end

maybe_join = fn
  elem when is_list(elem) -> Enum.join(elem)
  num when is_integer(num) -> num
end

1..100
|> Enum.map(&FizzBuzz.convert/1)
|> Enum.map(maybe_join)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews