woylie
Flop is an Elixir library that applies filtering, ordering and pagination parameters to your Ecto queries.
- offset-based pagination with
offset/limitorpage/page_size - cursor-based pagination
- sorting
- filtering
- parameter validation
- configurable filterable and sortable fields
- join fields
- compound fields
- query and meta data helpers
- Relay connection formatter (edges, nodes and page info)
- UI helpers and URL builders through Flop Phoenix.
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Nefcairon
I found Flip and Flop_Phoenix a few days ago on GitHub and since then I’ve waited for this thread
Will definetly use it, very nice work
Is there a small demo project available? As a beginner this is the best way for me to learn how to use a library.
woylie
There is no demo project at the moment, but there are step-by-step instructions in the readmes. If something is unclear, let me know, so that I can improve the documentation
mayel
Nice work! Can it join+preload associations and filter using fields from associations? This seems to be what’s missing from many of the similar libs.
woylie
It can not add join expressions or preload data for you. Flop does not try to be an alternate query DSL - it just adds
WHERE,ORDER BYandLIMITclauses derived from user-generated parameters to existing Ecto queries.However, you can define join fields, which are basically a mapping from a field alias to a field name on a named binding (see join fields). You will have to ensure that the necessary named bindings are added to the Ecto query you pass to the Flop functions. This approach means that you can filter and sort by anything that Ecto allows to join on: not only associations, but also the results of subqueries. To avoid unnecessary joins, you can retrieve a list of necessary bindings for a given parameter map before building the query (see Flop.bindings/3).
bjuretic
Hi, just trying out your package, thanks for making it.
Is it possible (for me as a package user) to add a way to find out if there is more records, in cursor-based pagination?
Ideally I would like actually to know if there are records before the first and after the last entities (“page”) currently fetched.
That means running min/max postgres functions on the query, without LIMIT and sorting on it.
Any ideas are welcome, and it does not have to be super-optimized.
Thanks!
woylie
If you run a cursor-paginated query, Flop will make the query with the given limit + 1 (
first,last, ordefault_limit). The*runfunctions will remove the extra row from the result set. The returnedFlop.Metastruct hashas_next_page?orhas_previous_page?fields, where the value of one of the fields depends on the existence of the extra row, and the other one depends on the presence of aafterorbeforeparameter.bjuretic
Thanks. Is it possible to do a range/between filtering on the same field with this library? For example records between two dates.
woylie
Yes, filters are passed as a list, you can combine as many as you want, including ones on the same field. All filters are combined with a logical
AND. One thing that isn’t possible at the moment is combining multiple filters with a logicalOR. (If you want to filter a single string field, there areilike_orandlike_oroperators`, though.)brightball
Have you given any thought to including this approach for performance in a future release?
Otherwise, looks great!
woylie
That is already implemented! You can choose between offset-based and cursor-based pagination. See also:
Flop.Phoenix has two different UI components for offset-based and cursor-based pagination.