helicon

helicon

Hello there!
I want to realize flow based algorithm(or pipeline/conveyor) to processing my files in system. So:

  • Can i to make separated pipelines for different scenarios?
  • Or i need to have only one pipeline and more flexible functional of each step?

Which way is better? Are there some kind of tutorials?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hauleth

hauleth

You can have multiple pipelines for different scenarios, but you will probably need to use GenStage directly in such case to use GenStage.BroadcastDispatcher.

helicon

helicon OP

In this way it seems u mean to handle different scenarios in separated consumers, right?

helicon

helicon OP

And can a producer have several different types of consumers? If so, what should I read to implement this?

hauleth

hauleth

Yes, producer can have multiple different consumers, but that will not make much sense with default dispatcher (as it will try to load balance/randomise the consumer that the event will be sent). So as I said, you can use broadcast dispatcher and then all consumers subscribed to the producer will receive copy of the same message.

jola

jola

Another solution is to wrap your data in some struct and add a field that you use to disambiguate with. Then you can define multiple clauses of your functions, each to handle its own type of data. This lets you have “multiple consumers”. For example you can have a struct called Container with a type field:

[%Container{type: "potato", data: some_data}, %Container{type: "carrot", data: some_other_data}]
Flow.from_enumerable()
Flow.map(&process_food/1)
Flow.run()

...

def process_food(%Container{type: "potato", data: data}) do
   ...
end

def process_food(%Container{type: "carrot", data: data}) do
  ...
end

This is the pattern suggested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b342YwOzIjI

It can also be extended to do smart error handling etc.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews