zmw
I am exploring Flow partitions. Basically I want to group the numbers by if dividable by 3.
Flow.from_enumerable(0..9)
|> Flow.partition( key: fn e -> rem(e, 3) end, stages: 4)
|> Flow.reduce(fn -> [] end, fn e, acc -> [e | acc] end)
|> Flow.departition(fn -> [] end, &[&1 | &2], &Enum.sort/1)
|> Enum.to_list
If I have the stages more than 3, say 4 I have the following result
[[[], [7, 4, 1], [8, 5, 2], [9, 6, 3, 0]]]
However if I have the stages to be set as 3, then I have the following
[[[], [8, 5, 2], [9, 7, 6, 4, 3, 1, 0]]]
Any en-lighting on this? Many Thanks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
aseigo
There are 3 possible keys: 0, 1, and 2. Those keys are going to be hashed from which the partitions are calculated. (The
hash:option allows generating hashes for partitioning directly, on the other hand)So of those 3 keys, two of those are evidently hashing to very similar values, so when it partitions out the hash value space between the stages there is one reducer that isn’t getting any values. I’m guessing that it does an equal partition between stages, so with 3 stages each gets a third of the hash space and with 4 stages each gets a fourth of the hash space. This would make sense as the stages can not know in advance the distribution of keys.
This would only be a problem when there are few stages and a narrow and sufficiently similar set of keys to hash on. Which is exactly what you have in your example, resulting in one reducer getting zero inputs. As the number of stages increases, the hashing of the 3 values becomes apparent: three reducers get values and the others don’t.
aseigo
p.s.:
the default hash function used in Flow is :erlang.phash2
So if you modify your code to look like this:
You’ll get something that is perhaps more like what you were expecting →
josevalim
Yes, precisely!
:keyreturns a value that will still be hashed. Use:hashif you want your custom hashing (that value is not changed in any way.zmw
Thanks for the clarification and nice samples!