revati
Hello, i have introduced Application.compile_env in my code and now fly.io deployment does not work any more, it fails, because compile time env does not match run time env.
I have set up all of them in fly io secrets and it shows properly at run time, but compile time they are empty. I have red Build Secrets · Fly Docs like 20 times, i just cant grasp what i don’t understand. I dont understand what is Dockerfile.builder, i only have one Dockerfile.
Optimally i would like that the same secrets defined in fly.io can be assigned to env at compile time as well, and i should not pass them from github action or smth.
My current Dockerfile. It is slightly changed for beacon cms to work.
# Find eligible builder and runner images on Docker Hub. We use Ubuntu/Debian
# instead of Alpine to avoid DNS resolution issues in production.
#
# https://hub.docker.com/r/hexpm/elixir/tags?page=1&name=ubuntu
# https://hub.docker.com/_/ubuntu?tab=tags
#
# This file is based on these images:
#
# - https://hub.docker.com/r/hexpm/elixir/tags - for the build image
# - https://hub.docker.com/_/debian?tab=tags&page=1&name=bullseye-20241202-slim - for the release image
# - https://pkgs.org/ - resource for finding needed packages
# - Ex: hexpm/elixir:1.18.0-erlang-27.1.2-debian-bullseye-20241202-slim
#
ARG ELIXIR_VERSION=1.18.0
ARG OTP_VERSION=27.1.2
ARG DEBIAN_VERSION=bullseye-20241202-slim
ARG BUILDER_IMAGE="hexpm/elixir:${ELIXIR_VERSION}-erlang-${OTP_VERSION}-debian-${DEBIAN_VERSION}"
ARG RUNNER_IMAGE="debian:${DEBIAN_VERSION}"
FROM ${BUILDER_IMAGE} as builder
# install build dependencies
RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y build-essential git npm \
&& apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*
# prepare build dir
WORKDIR /app
# install hex + rebar
RUN mix local.hex --force && \
mix local.rebar --force
# set build ENV
ENV MIX_ENV="prod"
# install mix dependencies
COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
RUN mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV
RUN mkdir config
# copy compile-time config files before we compile dependencies
# to ensure any relevant config change will trigger the dependencies
# to be re-compiled.
COPY config/config.exs config/${MIX_ENV}.exs config/
RUN mix deps.compile
COPY priv priv
COPY lib lib
COPY assets assets
# compile assets
RUN npm install --prefix assets
RUN mix assets.deploy
# Compile the release
RUN mix compile
# Changes to config/runtime.exs don't require recompiling the code
COPY config/runtime.exs config/
RUN mix assets.setup
COPY rel rel
RUN mix release
# start a new build stage so that the final image will only contain
# the compiled release and other runtime necessities
FROM ${RUNNER_IMAGE}
RUN apt-get update -y && \
apt-get install -y libstdc++6 openssl libncurses5 locales ca-certificates \
&& apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*
# Set the locale
RUN sed -i '/en_US.UTF-8/s/^# //g' /etc/locale.gen && locale-gen
ENV LANG en_US.UTF-8
ENV LANGUAGE en_US:en
ENV LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8
WORKDIR "/app"
RUN chown nobody /app
# set runner ENV
ENV MIX_ENV="prod"
# Only copy the final release from the build stage
COPY --from=builder --chown=nobody:root /app/_build/${MIX_ENV}/rel/flaty ./
USER nobody
# If using an environment that doesn't automatically reap zombie processes, it is
# advised to add an init process such as tini via `apt-get install`
# above and adding an entrypoint. See https://github.com/krallin/tini for details
# ENTRYPOINT ["/tini", "--"]
CMD ["/app/bin/server"]
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
I’d ignore the “Automate the inclusion of build secrets using an ephemeral Machine” portion altogether (at least to start). Explicitly mount all secrets you need access to and use them to make your
mix releasework.jswanner
Compile time environment variables are trickier to use, and depending on what you are doing can make the compiled artifact less portable. Is the value you are wanting to provide at compile time sensitive data? If not, you can use build arguments:
revati
I did not have Arg for my env. So now when calling
flyctl deploy --build-arg MY_ARG=valuevalue is used.i still don’t understand why i need to provide value in github actions as well. It already exists in fly.io, but that probably is topic for another day.
Also i understand one should not use compile envs lightly
jswanner
I’m assuming you mean the values exist as secrets within the fly.io application. The images are built outside of your fly application environment, either locally on the machine that invoked
flyctl deploy(if local builds are configured or you added the--local-onlyflag) or in an “App Builder” which is a separate fly machine from your application. Your organization can have multiple applications, but it’ll just have one App Builder (found athttps://fly.io/dashboard/<org>/builders).