gmile
White wandering through exercism.io solutions, I just stumbled upon this:
# rows/1, and columns/1 are functions that return lists of columns and rows, respectively
def saddle_points(str) do
for {row, ri} <- Enum.with_index(rows(str)),
{col, ci} <- Enum.with_index(columns(str)),
max = Enum.max(row),
min = Enum.min(col),
min == max,
do: {ri, ci}
end
In my opinion this is a very smart solution to finding saddle points in a matrix (my own was extremely over-engineered). Now that looked at this code, I realize I might not have a good understanding of how for special form works, and what else you can do with it.
I knew that one can specify filters (such as ==, for example) and multiple dependent lists to be read from, e.g.:
for my_list <- list_of_lists,
element <- my_list,
element != 3,
do: element
But this example in the beginning of the post suggests there are more powerful ways of using for:
- Lists may not be dependent at all – I’ve never thought about it,
- One may use assignment (pattern matching), such as
max = Enum.max(row), too – how/why does this even work?
So, my mind is blown, and I just wanted to share this. Also, is there anything else I’m missing from fully understanding the for special form?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hubertlepicki
The name to google you are looking for is elixir list comprehensions. Read this first: