FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy

Hey everyone,

I’m having trouble trying to model relationships between multiple users. I’m trying to model a user_role that keeps track of a whether a given user is a mentee (someone being mentored) or a mentor. I then have a user_relationship that keeps track of the relationship between two users.

Migrations

create table(:user_roles) do
  ...  
  add :user_id, references(:users, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
  ...
end
create table(:user_relationships) do
  ...  
  add :user_role_id_1, references(:user_roles, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
  add :user_role_id_2, references(:user_roles, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
  ...
end

Schemas

  schema "users" do
    ...
    has_many :user_roles, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole
    has_many :user_relationships, through: [:user_roles, :user_relationships]
    ...
  end
  schema "user_roles" do
    ...
    belongs_to :user, MyApp.Accounts.User
    has_many :relationships_as_mentee, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :mentee_user_role
    has_many :relationships_as_mentor, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :mentor_user_role
    ...
  end
  schema "user_relationships" do
    ...
    belongs_to :mentee_user_role_id, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :mentee_user_role
    belongs_to :mentor_user_role_id, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :mentor_user_role
    ...
  end

I’ve tried all sorts of iterations mostly based on the advice in this post, but still wasn’t able to figure this out. When I run my seeds.exs file and try to insert a new UserRelationship, I’m seeing the following:

** (RuntimeError) casting assocs with cast/4 for :mentee_user_role_id field is not supported, use cast_assoc/3 instead

Anyways, I haven’t been able to figure this out and would greatly appreciate some insight. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions? Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Before diving into the Ecto plumbing, take a step back. What structure are you looking for in the database? Once you understand what rows you’re expecting to see it will be easier to wire the associations together.

A general note on the posted schemas:

belongs_to :mentee_user_role_id, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :mentee_user_role
# should likely be
belongs_to :mentee_user_role, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :mentee_user_role_id

The first argument to belongs_to is the name of the association as used in the rest of the application, while the value passed in foreign_key should be the name of a database column.

HOWEVER

That’s still going to fail, because that value for foreign_key doesn’t match the schema:

add :user_role_id_1, references(:user_roles, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy OP

Thanks for the response! This is my first Ecto project, so I’m still wrapping my head around it. I’ve already thought of the structure of the database. I’ve attached an ERD showing the structure I want to achieve, which will hopefully make it more clear.

The problem I’m having is actually translating this in a usable way to Ecto. I haven’t been able to find much/any documentation on referencing the same table (let alone the same column).

I’ve tried updating the schema per your recommendations, but am still having issues. Do you have any further suggestions? I think I’m missing something that is not immediately obvious.

schema "user_roles" do
  has_many :mentees, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :mentee
  has_many :mentors, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :mentor
end

schema "user_relationships" do
  belongs_to :mentee, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :user_role_id_1
  belongs_to :mentor, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :user_role_id_2
end
** (RuntimeError) casting assocs with cast/4 for :mentee field is not supported, use cast_assoc/3 instead
FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy OP

I was just able to get this work by using the following:

schema "user_roles" do
  has_many :user_relationships_1, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :user_role_id_1
  has_many :user_relationships_2, MyApp.Accounts.UserRelationship, foreign_key: :user_role_id_2
end

schema "user_relationships" do
  belongs_to :user_role_1, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :user_role_id_1
  belongs_to :user_role_2, MyApp.Accounts.UserRole, foreign_key: :user_role_id_2
end

I’m still not quite understanding how this is working and/or if this is entirely correct. UserRelationships should have two foreign keys on the columns user_role_id_1 and user_role_id_2 to the ID field of UserRole. I think I’m still missing something. Any clarification would be tremendously helpful. :slight_smile:

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

foreign_key is always going to be a column name, not an association name. That seems to be the problem with the code you posted; the has_many associations should be foreign_key: :user_role_id_1 etc

As to your specific error, in future it helps to post the code that’s giving the error (whatever’s calling cast in the case of the message above).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews