f0rest8

f0rest8

I know I’m missing something here, but I’ve bounced around from Calendar and Timex trying to get a :strftime format with the offset computed in the formatted hours to no avail.

Is there a way to format a DateTime string using :strftime but computing the offset in the hours representation?

Currently, I convert a NaiveDateTime with Timex so that I can see what Calendar’s calculating as the offset (which shows that everything is correct time-wise — just not my formatting ability).

dt = Timex.to_datetime(naive_date_string, "America/New_York")
datetime = Calendar.strftime(dt, "%A %b. %d, %Y @ %I:%M %z")

"Friday Aug. 20, 2021 @ 06:14 -0400"

It seems like whenever I come back to formatting using :strftime I arrive back in the future because the offset is not able to be computed in the formatted hours.

When I use the %z to see what the offset is, it’s correct and leaves me wishing I could just use something like %I only with the offset computed from the inputted datetime.

:blush:

Showing Posts 1 to 7

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

+hhmm/-hhmm time zone offset from UTC (empty string if naive)

%z already gives you the offset in hours and minutes.

I’m not sure I understood your problem, care to clarify more? What do you mean by “hours representation”?

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

Also, if you just need the offset, you can use DateTime struct directly, using fields utc_offset and std_offset which are in seconds, but you can convert them to hours if you wish.

f0rest8

f0rest8 OP

:slight_smile: I was just wondering if there was a way to get the offset calculated in the formatted hours, like 7:00 instead of 10:00 if the offset were say -0300.

From what I can tell is that when using :strftime you always get the hours and offset separately. For example, you’d get 10:00 -0300 (and you can get those separately of course), but you can’t get 7:00 with the offset having been applied to the hours for you.

Is that correct?

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

So you’re basically trying to convert your datetimes to UTC?

I think shift_zone/3 might be useful to you, or if you use Timex I think convert/2 might be useful.

I think you want to convert your datetimes to “Etc/UTC” or similar.

f0rest8

f0rest8 OP

Thank you :blush: :heart: I think I’ve been going in circles on this one.

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

You’re welcome.

BTW, I think I pasted the second link wrong, here it is: Timex.Timezone — timex v3.7.13

acrolink

acrolink

For anyone looking for the straightforward answer to this very basic need (not documented anywhere), can be done like this:

DateTime.shift_zone!(DateTime.from_naive!(record.inserted_at, "UTC"), "Asia/Jerusalem")
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews