JohnSmall

JohnSmall

I’m working my way through the Programming Phoenix > 1.4 book and I’ve got a problem with the formatter.

I’m using Atom with Elixir addons, which calls the formatter and reports errors and autofixes the format. But the formatter doesn’t like the migrations. I get this error

** (Mix) Unknown dependency :ecto_sql given to :import_deps in the formatter configuration. The dependency is not listed in your mix.exs for environment :dev

Which is odd because :ecto_sql is very definitely in the list of dependencies in mix.exs, though there isn’t a specific environment for :dev section.

Since this is a plain installation, and follows the book, I’m assuming that other people have the same problem, but I can’t see any other questions being asked.

Anyone have any idea how I get this fixed?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

goofansu

goofansu

Hi @JohnSmall, the error happens if the mix format command runs in wrong directory. I guess it is caused by the Elixir plugin used in Atom. You can try VSCode and install the “ElixirLS Fork” extension.

hassan

hassan

Which addons exactly? What version of Elixir / Erlang / Phoenix?
Does the formatter give the same error if you run it from the command line?

For reference, I don’t see any such errors with these installed:

  • atom-elixir 0.2.3
  • atom-elixir-formatter 1.0.6
  • language-elixir 0.23.0
  • linter-elixir-credo 1.1.0
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @JohnSmall did you per chance use the latest version of ecto instead of the version specified in the Phoenix book? In the latest version of Ecto, you need to add :ecto_sql as an additional dependency now, it was extracted from ecto proper.

JohnSmall

JohnSmall OP

Yes it is the latest version of Phoenix. But it’s automatically added :ecto_sql to deps in mix.exs. Here’s the code

defp deps do
    [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.4.11"},
      {:phoenix_pubsub, "~> 1.1"},
      {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 4.0"},
      {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.1"},
      {:postgrex, ">= 0.0.0"},
      {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.11"},
      {:phoenix_live_reload, "~> 1.2", only: :dev},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.0"},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"}
    ]
  end

As you can see :ecto_sql is definitely there.

JohnSmall

JohnSmall OP

Good point, what happens when I run from the command line? Ans: no errors.

Which prompts the question where are the Atom addons getting the error message from? I’m using

  • atom-elixir 0.2.3
  • atom-elixir-formatter 1.0.6
  • language-elixir 0.23.0
  • linter-elixir-credo 1.1.0

Exactly the same as you. Are there special settings that have to be configured for these addons?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Do you start your editor from a GUI or from the terminal, if you open it from the terminal, do you see the same error?

JohnSmall

JohnSmall OP

I get the same error if I start Atom from the command line as I do when starting it from the Mac dock toolbar.

Well not quite the same error, the error comes up twice instead of just once.

JohnSmall

JohnSmall OP

By disabling and enabling the packages I can see that the error is generated by atom-elixir-formatter v1.0.6.

There doesn’t seem to be much configuration that can be changed, other than the executable it calls. Which is the default elixir.

I checked the Github repo for the package and found other people with the same problem Running in subdirectory with `.formatter.exs` file breaks · Issue #26 · rgreenjr/atom-elixir-formatter · GitHub but the author doesn’t have time to fix it. Sigh :frowning:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Just to make sure, do you start it from the project folder than?

Quite often those problems arise from the processes working dir is incorrect.

JohnSmall

JohnSmall OP

Just tried it and it makes no difference. Which is reasonable because it checks the formats on all other files in the project correctly.

If I had to start Atom from the command line in the root directory of the project to get it to work that would be crazy as I have 5 projects open at once.

As the author doesn’t have time to fix the problem I’ll investigate a bit to see if I can diagnose what’s going wrong.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews