Free hosting for Elixir/Phoenix?

So, is Heroku the only free option for hosting Phoenix/Elixir at this point? I’m not ready to commit to paying monthly and was wondering what kind of options are out there for the Free tier and what peoples’ experience with them are.

7 Likes

I personally have tried:
AWS - free tier
GAE - free tier (Google Cloud now :))
Digital Ocean - (Github Student Pack pack promo for 50$, you need to have an email address which ends with *.edu)

4 Likes

@jsonify, I am using machine in cloud (CentOS).

1 Like

Heroku - their deployment process is quote good.
With their new billing mechanism you can get for free either

• one instance under some load 24/7
  • multiple instances each sleeping some time (i.e. no inbound requests for a while)
3 Likes

@jsonify, gigalixir.com now has a free tier, no credit card required. It’s very similar to Heroku except that it supports node clustering, hot upgrades, and remote console. It doesn’t restart your processes every 24 hours, restrict you to arbitrary simultaneous connections per instance, or limit each connection to an arbitrary number of seconds.

I’m the founder, feel free to reach out to me for help.

9 Likes

@thousandsofthem: How sleeping is working with Phoenix Channels? I need to reconnect and authenticate again or all connection/channels are automatically restored?

@jesse: How many projects I can run in free tier? Do I have 24/7 without restart connection (especially Phoenix WebSocket). Which deployment tool(s) did you tested? Any tutorials? I don’t need it currently, but it’s really interesting to bookmark and use in (hope) near future.

You get 1 app instance and 1 postgres instance for free. Yes, 24/7 no restarts except in extreme circumstances. We currently only support Distillery. There is a “tutorial” for modifying an existing Phoenix app [1] and one for using the gigalixir-getting-started template repo [2].

[1] http://gigalixir.readthedocs.io/en/latest/main.html#modifying-an-existing-app-to-run-on-gigalixir
[2] http://gigalixir.readthedocs.io/en/latest/main.html#quick-start

6 Likes

Fwiw, gigalixir free tier does not sleep.

6 Likes

Any news in 2024?

1 Like

Apps: fly.io.
Postgres-compatible database: CockroachDB Serverless

There is also: GitHub - ripienaar/free-for-dev: A list of SaaS, PaaS and IaaS offerings that have free tiers of interest to devops and infradev

You can also get a tiny ARM cloud instance from Hetzner for € 3.79 a month, and host a couple of apps there. But it would require some management. (a few commands from tutorials to set things up, comes with experience as a bonus)

Fly has a minimum spend of $5 / month for new users. There is a free trial, but no free tier. Anyone who signed up before the change still has the free tier.

1 Like

Do you know when they did this change? Haven’t used my account lately, but I was under the impression that I had the free tier, but now it says “hobby tier 5$”

In the dashboard for the org, you can mouseover and see if you’re on the “Legacy Hobby Plan” which has no monthly minimum spend.

I think it was earlier this year, but might have been late last year. I don’t recall there being an official announcement probably because everyone was grandfathered and it only affected new users. Sure has left many people confused though.

1 Like