jsonify
So, is Heroku the only free option for hosting Phoenix/Elixir at this point? I’m not ready to commit to paying monthly and was wondering what kind of options are out there for the Free tier and what peoples’ experience with them are.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sysashi
I personally have tried:
AWS - free tier
GAE - free tier (Google Cloud now :))
Digital Ocean - (Github Student Pack pack promo for 50$, you need to have an email address which ends with *.edu)
dgamidov
@jsonify, I am using machine in cloud (CentOS).
thousandsofthem
Heroku - their deployment process is quote good.
With their new billing mechanism you can get for free either
jesse
@jsonify, gigalixir.com now has a free tier, no credit card required. It’s very similar to Heroku except that it supports node clustering, hot upgrades, and remote console. It doesn’t restart your processes every 24 hours, restrict you to arbitrary simultaneous connections per instance, or limit each connection to an arbitrary number of seconds.
I’m the founder, feel free to reach out to me for help.
Eiji
@thousandsofthem: How sleeping is working with Phoenix Channels? I need to reconnect and authenticate again or all connection/channels are automatically restored?
Eiji
@jesse: How many projects I can run in free tier? Do I have 24/7 without restart connection (especially Phoenix WebSocket). Which deployment tool(s) did you tested? Any tutorials? I don’t need it currently, but it’s really interesting to bookmark and use in (hope) near future.
jesse
You get 1 app instance and 1 postgres instance for free. Yes, 24/7 no restarts except in extreme circumstances. We currently only support Distillery. There is a “tutorial” for modifying an existing Phoenix app [1] and one for using the gigalixir-getting-started template repo [2].
[1] Moved — GIGALIXIR 1.4.0 documentation
[2] Moved — GIGALIXIR 1.4.0 documentation
jesse
Fwiw, gigalixir free tier does not sleep.
enkr1
Any news in 2024?
ostap
Apps: fly.io.
Postgres-compatible database: CockroachDB Serverless
There is also: GitHub - ripienaar/free-for-dev: A list of SaaS, PaaS and IaaS offerings that have free tiers of interest to devops and infradev · GitHub
You can also get a tiny ARM cloud instance from Hetzner for € 3.79 a month, and host a couple of apps there. But it would require some management. (a few commands from tutorials to set things up, comes with experience as a bonus)