Freelance / Short Term Contract Jobs

If you have a freelance or short term contract job please use this thread to post details. (Please note the job must be your own - no agencies or consultancies sorry.)

Please include:

Your name:
Your company/organisation: (if applicable)
Country of residence or where company is based:
Contact details:

Details of job or length of contract if a short-term-contract:

Payment/compensation for job:

15 Likes

Beth Heidemann, (co-founder/content creator)
Go2Science
USA

Reach us at Curious@Go2Science.com

We have an educational website that uses videos, livestream events, and online lesson materials to teach science to young learners. Our website was custom developed using Phoenix and Elixir and we have integrations with YouTube, MailChimp, and Google. The site is hosted on AWS. Our web developer has recently closed up shop and we are looking for someone to take over hosting responsibilities as well as perform website maintenance, troubleshooting, and minor feature upgrades. We host livestream events with schools through our website and need someone that can jump in quickly to help troubleshoot if our system goes down. This is ongoing with the possibility of additional freelance projects in the future as we expand or improve features.

We paid our previous developer a monthly retainer for approximately three hours of work monthly. We’d like to continue with a similar arrangement. Time and compensation are negotiable.

3 Likes

Philip Nordenfelt - cofounder, ceo
Cytely (formerly oden vision ab)
Sweden
philip@odenvision.com

Introduction

We’re building the next generation of life sciences technology for automated science. Our first product is related to microscopy automation and saves labs weeks of expensive manual labor with each single run. Our stack is Elixir and Liveview first. We’re a hybrid organisation and we value autonomy and high quality code.

About us

We’re an early stage B2B SaaS startup founded in the summer of 2022.

We fundamentally believe that the best products are built when small, cross functional, autonomous teams are empowered to solve business problems as they see fit. Engineers are heavily involved throughout the product development process, inputting into the why and what as well as the how.

Our stack has a few main components:

• A backend with a custom API and a web frontend built using Elixir and Phoenix Live View
  • Message Queue
  • Distributed technology
  • Plugin framework using Julia, Python and more
  • Heavy image analysis focus
  • postgresDB

We’re passionate advocates of the Live View approach for building web applications and believe that it’s one of the biggest step changes in productivity and developer experience since Ruby on Rails.

About the job

Job title: Full Stack Engineer

Job description:

You will be asked to build new features as well as maintain/refactor already built components. You will be in close communication with the rest of the team.

Qualifications or experience required: If you have professional experience in Elixir (or another language but love Elixir), let’s talk

This is a consultant part-time position on remote basis

About the interview process

• NDA
  • Informal, introductory call with me (15-30 mins)
  • First interview with a member of our Engineering team (30 mins)
  • Technical Interview (1 hour) take us through a piece of code you’re proud of and talk about how it’s architected, what worked well and what you’d do differently if you wrote it again. If you don’t have a suitable piece of code, we’re also happy to pay you for half a days work to do a take home task. But we understand that everyone’s busy so we’d much rather use some code you’ve already got where possible!
  • CTO (Co-Founder) Interview (30 mins)
  • Trial (paid) task

Happy to answer any questions here or mail/pm

1 Like

Your name: Antonin Kral
Country of residence or where company is based: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact details: antonin@nibbler.ai or https://www.linkedin.com/in/kralant/

Elixir/Phoenix/Ash for Advanced Asphalt Analysis in the Cloud

I am looking for an experienced Elixir developer, who would be willing to help with kick-starting and further improving (as consultations) of a cloud platform for keeping track of asphalt mixtures shear properties. We have just established a small company around the invention of new way how to measure these. The new measurement method has two components – a new hardware add-on to existing shear presses and a software component, which interprets measured values (currently Excel :)). Idea was recently awarded with (small) funding from Czech Invest.

I would love to implement the service in Elixir and Phoenix (v1.7), while not strictly necessary, also using the Ash framework, which seems to be hitting many abstractions right. While I would consider myself a computer science professional, I don’t have much exposure to Elixir/Phoenix/Ash yet. Hence, I am looking for a contract partner who can bootstrap the whole project, as well as enabling me to climb the learning curve more effectively.

The platform itself is a pretty straightforward information system:

• Users belong to companies, which provide access to particular measurements. Multiple companies can have access to one particular measurement.
  • Every batch of asphalt is measured several times, every run consists of tens of measured values (as these span across about 120s and typical sampling frequency is 2Hz).
  • Data about the measurement run is imported from an uploaded file, created by existing laboratory equipment (CSV, XML, JSON etc.).
  • Every run and every batch can be exported as PDF report, CSV or JSON.
  • Users can navigate among the batches, search for them and capture metadata for every batch and measurement (for example, type of used equipment, physical dimensions of the sample etc.).

Expected engagement at the beginning is roughly 6 months. Budget wise, the ideal hourly rate is around $50.

If you are interested, please hit me at antonin@nibbler.ai or https://www.linkedin.com/in/kralant/

1 Like

Role: Mid-level/Senior Elixir Software Engineer
Pay: USD $35-$60.00/ hr
Hours: 3-month contract (full-time)

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR

Catalyx is seeking a highly experienced, talented, and passionate Software Engineer who possesses advanced Elixir programming skills to help us tackle several challenging projects regarding our regulation with the Alberta Securities Commission. If you are interested in joining a highly motivated and energetic team to tackle fascinating, challenging, and fast-paced tasks, let’s get in touch!

ABOUT US

Catalyx is one of Canada’s most reliable, fast, and secure digital assets trading platforms, specializing in crypto trading, blockchain solution, and cybersecurity technology! Our company was founded in 2018 by top talents in the tech and finance industry to develop features that make it one of the best and easiest Canadian platforms to trade on, leading the way to a limitless financial system. Catalyx has the highest standards in security and compliance and is partnered with world-trusted names in Blockchain technologies, risk management, and financial solutions. Catalyx gives access to 240+ TOP assets and markets so people can focus on creating wealth while their funds and transactions are secure and protected.

JOB DESCRIPTION - ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES

• Participate in high-level system architecture and software design decision-making.
  • Build new and existing features in our digital assets software architecture.
  • Understand the inner workings and business logic that go into the Catalyx app.
  • Work with other team members to define requirements and develop a new software product from the ground up.
  • Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problems, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
  • Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and improve existing software solutions.
  • Read, analyze, and interpret technical documents.
  • Software debugging, documentation, and testing
  • Other software-related activities as required by the CTO.

QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS

• 4-5+ years of experience as an Elixir software developer (required).
  • Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in any relevant discipline of computer science.
  • 2+ years of experience working with concurrent and distributed systems (required).
  • Strong working knowledge of PostgreSQL.
  • Past experience building and maintaining GraphQL.
  • Past experience building GraphQL APIs, or advanced knowledge of REST.
  • Familiar with creating queries using APIs.
  • Familiar with Docker and AWS.
  • Experience of working with cross-functional remote teams in an Agile software development framework.
  • Ability to write useful and maintainable tests.

WHO YOU ARE

• Strong analytical and reasoning skills
  • Strong awareness of concepts such as pattern matching, recursion, and behaviors.
  • Well-versed with concurrency and processes in Elixir.
  • Skilled with Genservers, Tasks, Agents, Supervisors, and other OTP concepts in Elixir.
  • Have a desire for maintainability.
  • Passionate about designing and maintaining large-scale distributed systems.
  • Eager to build a complex application.
  • You are self-motivated; able to work within a project-based environment.

Role: Medior Elixir Product Engineer, 2d/w, Remote (Freelance)
Hours: Approximately 2 days per week, 12 months
Location: Remote – Must be able to work within CET +/- 2 hours
Pay: The ideal hourly rate is around $50

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR

Wunderwork.io is in search of a skilled and dedicated Elixir Product Engineer to join our team on a freelance basis. We are looking for someone who is passionate about leveraging their advanced Elixir programming skills to enhance and maintain our platform, connecting IT freelancers with meaningful projects. If you are driven, talented, and eager to contribute to a platform that makes a real difference, we would love to hear from you!

ABOUT US

Wunderwork.io is an innovative start-up focused on empowering IT freelancers by connecting them with impactful projects. Our mission is to help Freelancers find meaningful work and clients to discover top-tier talent.

JOB DESCRIPTION - ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES

• Take ownership of and progressively enhance our platform.
  • Collaborate on new feature design and implementation.
  • Add and implement new features from scratch.
  • Maintain code integrity and quality while continuing to improve test coverage.
  • Work within a dynamic, remote environment, contributing to a platform that impacts freelancers globally.

ABOUT THE PLATFORM

• Easy to work with codebase with 70% test coverage,
  • Reasonable tech debt and
  • Mainly a liveview app using heex templates.

QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS

• Proven mastery in Elixir and the Phoenix Framework.
  • Solid understanding of front-end technologies.
  • Bonus: Familiarity with TailwindCSS.
  • Strong communication and organizational skills.
  • Ability to work independently and as part of a remote team.

WHO YOU ARE

• You have a strong analytical mindset and excellent problem-solving skills.
  • You are familiar with the nuances of Elixir, including its concurrency model and OTP concepts.
  • You are passionate about building and maintaining high-quality, scalable software.
  • You are self-motivated and thrive in a project-based, remote working environment.
  • You are committed to continuous learning and staying updated with the latest in Elixir and software development trends.
2 Likes

“Tailwind.js” Do you mean TailwindCSS or AlpineJS?

TailwindCSS, thx!

My name: Martin Volerich
Country of residence: USA
Contact details: (201) 647-1918

Length of contract: 3-6 months

Are you a full-stack engineer with an enthusiatic keen eye for Elixir and powerful scalable web architecture? We are building a brand-new green field application using Elixir, Phoenix, Phoenix LiveView, and AWS cloud services to provide users with a rewarding interactive experience as they build complex rules-based quantitative structures to simulate real-world relationships and resource planning. You will have the chance to practice test-driven development techniques to rapidly craft a graph-based backend using best practice Elixir application designs.

The back end will use OTP to create a scalable fault-tolerant foundation for the LiveView front-end to bring the application’s power to the users’ fingertips. Mix in TailwindCSS and GraphQL for added flavor and you could be having huge fun in bringing this application to life.

2 Likes

So it is liveview or graphql, or you are not sure yet? :sob:

1 Like

Yes, that’s for sure not usual request. Nobody saw such since I started programming, but the world is big, so why not? GraphQL could be used for mobile applications and LiveView for web app. That’s said the more I read it the more I think there is some misunderstanding. Maybe someone thinks that LiveView is similar to React or other JS library? :thinking:

For people who don’t know much about Elixir and the concept of LiveView it’s not something surprising or shame. People are making much, much bigger wrong assumptions. The same was with me at start. For some reason I was thinking that module attributes works like class attributes in Ruby. :sweat_smile:

However the other part took my attention:

Hope it’s not another role like backend + frontend + mobile + designer + devops + security for a price of a backend developer. :smiling_imp:

I mean it is clear that the posting is looking for a what we call “principal engineer”, basically a technical person that can handle everything on the technical side to deliver a MVP.

I kind of like this direction, as it makes software development more accessible for people that want to materialize an idea, however at the same time there is a big danger involved with bad technical specifications and estimates, leading to both parties having a bad time.

Tomasz

No - it will be both LiveView and GraphQL - the former for the UI interaction and the graph apis to traverse some interesting data structures & their relationships.

LiveView will be used for all of the user interface / interaction - creating components that are clients to a backend data/model API. No confusion at all on my part.

And this is a full-stack effort - but not especially focusing or including devops and other environmental concerns. There is opportunity to broaden scope into those areas, but it is important to bear in mind how this application & services will eventually be deployed.

So I am interested to find the right partner to work with me hands-on to build out this application on all layers of this Phoenix stack.

Hope that clears any confusion.

Martin

2 Likes

Oh, did you mean 3rd party service --GraphQL--> Elixir backend --> LiveView? Interesting, but it should not be hard to work with. :thinking:

For sure deploying to Amazon EC2 is as simple as following one of many available guides. I guess everyone who could write prod ready code is able to do that. However I’m not spending every day on AWS. Honestly since last time I worked on it I have almost forgot how it looks like. :sweat_smile:

Therefore I would not setup everything (users, groups, acl? and so on) in said “5 min”, but if you would give me credentials for already configured EC2 and RDS then as said it’s a piece of cake. Basically it’s only about SSH connection and release specific configuration like the one for ecto dependency. :+1:

Hi, I am interested, did you forget to mention where to apply? :slight_smile:

Greetings from motivationWorks! I’m Lars Solberg, the Engineering Manager at motivationWorks. We’re on the hunt for a Senior Elixir Developer to join us on a 3-month contract. This role is pivotal in expanding our well-being product offerings, leveraging the power of Elixir to make a significant impact.

Your name: Lars Solberg
Your company/organisation: motivationWorks
Role: Senior Elixir Developer
Duration: 3-month contract (full-time)
Remote?: Fully remote, and candidates must reside in the USA.
Payment/compensation for job: Negotiable depending on experience.

About us:

motivationWorks stands at the intersection of technology and psychological well-being, built upon the groundbreaking work of our founders, who are the creators of Self-Determination Theory (SDT). Since 2016, we’ve utilized Elixir in production to apply these principles at a global scale, transforming organizational cultures to foster environments where everyone can thrive.

Description:

• Innovate and Scale: Collaborate with our team to expand and refine our core products. Your role spans from architectural decisions to hands-on development, ensuring our solutions meet the evolving needs of workplaces worldwide.
  • Technical Excellence: Bring your Elixir expertise to develop high-quality, unit-tested/maintainable code, contributing directly to our platform’s growth and the well-being of users.

Requirements and Expectations:

• Professional Experience: 3-5+ years in web development with a strong background in Elixir and Phoenix.
  • Technical Skills: Proficiency in TDD, Git, and PostgreSQL.
  • Collaborative Spirit: Exceptional communication and teamwork skills.

What we’d love:

• Passion for Motivation: Interest in Self-Determination Theory, motivation, and caring about others.
  • Startup and UI Experience: Comfortable in a dynamic startup setting and skilled in UI development with attention to detail.

Interested? Send your application to lars@motivationworks.com. We value growth and support in our team, and we can’t wait to hear from you!