From Laravel to Phoenix

I wan to go with Phoenix but I might not able to it the formal way (Reading or watching 40 hours course). Is there any resource that can help me translate my backend development skill to Phoenix?

I used to learn elixir and phoenix back then but suddenly too many projects give me no time to continue learning it. Now, I forgot everything about what I’ve learnt about Phoenix!

2 Likes

Hi, I’d suggest you choose a small new easy project, take a deep breath and jump in high waters. :smile: You’ll find plenty of help in the forum (there are many authors of many good books around here) and in the awesome phoenix documentation. I know no better way than that to gain the perfect learning motivation. You could also be surprised how much fun it is.

2 Likes

First learn enough Elixir and then read Mastering Phoenix by @shankardevy.

4 Likes

If you have a lot of backend dev skills from Laravel, the “only” missing piece might be Elixir. There’s a bunch of core principles that you need to grasp – there are not that many of them and they are not super-complex, they just require some getting used to and rewiring your brain to a different way of thinking about some stuff.

My personal favorite that I can strongly recommend is Pragmatic Studio’s Elixir course – they make the scary stuff sound simple. It’s 30 videos, 10-20 minutes each and I swear it’s the best online course I’ve ever taken in my life.

Equipped with that intro to Elixir + your experience in Laravel, Phoenix should be a pretty smooth ride for you. And there’s always this super helpful and knowledgable (except me) community.

2 Likes

I have same experience, I wrote a project 3 years ago, and dropped because of busy with other things.
But the good thing is Elixir I mean functional code are very easy to pickup again, even without any comments.
I highly recommend you read Elixir in Action by @sasajuric , after that I can write fairly idiomatic code and quite easy to understand other people’s code.

1 Like