BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

I have a UTC datetime from a timestamptz PostgreSQL column, and am trying to:

  1. convert it to the user’s timezone;
  2. output a localised string representation for the frontend.

I’m trying to use DateTime for 1 and Cldr.DateTime for 2.

iex> {:ok, shifted} = DateTime.shift_zone(~U[2024-07-13 21:33:23.163097Z], "Europe/Berlin")
{:ok, #DateTime<2024-07-13 23:33:23.163097+02:00 CEST Europe/Berlin>}

However, Cldr.DateTime.to_string/2 doesn’t accept #DateTime<...>:

iex> {:ok, result} = Cldr.DateTime.to_string(shifted, "en-GB")
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {ArgumentError, "Invalid DateTime. DateTime is a map that contains at least :year, :month, :day, :hour, :minute, :second and :calendar. Found: #DateTime<2024-07-13 23:33:23.163097+02:00 CEST Europe/Berlin Cldr.Calendar.Gregorian>"}}
    (stdlib 4.3.1.3) erl_eval.erl:496: :erl_eval.expr/6
    iex:3: (file)

I don’t know what #...<...> means, exactly, or how to convert it to a DateTime struct/map that Cldr.DateTime can use. Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

belaustegui

belaustegui

Looks like you are calling Cldr.DateTime.to_string incorrectly.

The locale must be passed as a keyword list. This should work:

{:ok, result} = Cldr.DateTime.to_string(shifted, locale: "en-GB")
BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid OP

:face_with_peeking_eye: Thanks.

So the #...<...> syntax is an alternative representation of a struct? I tried searching for information on that, but I must have done that wrong, too.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

It’s simply human-friendly formatting, suitable for quickly taking a look.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

See Inspect — Elixir v1.12.3

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I’ve published ex_cldr_dates_times version 2.20.2 that improves the error message when options are not provided as a keyword list. Using your example:

iex> {:ok, shifted} = DateTime.shift_zone(~U[2024-07-13 21:33:23.163097Z], "Europe/Berlin")
{:ok, #DateTime<2024-07-13 23:33:23.163097+02:00 CEST Europe/Berlin>}

iex> Cldr.DateTime.to_string(shifted, "en-GB")
{:error,
 {ArgumentError,
  "Unexpected option value \"en-GB\". Options must be a keyword list"}}
BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid OP

@dimitarvp, @LostKobrakai, thanks. So the use of # seems to be related to a comment marker, as the representation is not valid Elixir syntax. In 1.17’s documentation: Inspect — Elixir v1.17.2. That mentions that #Name<...> tends to be used when there are private fields to hide. I guess in the case of DateTime it’s used for conciseness.

@kip, thanks, and thanks very much for your libraries!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews