hez

hez

With this code under OTP 27 dialyzer ran cleanly:

defmodule Test do
  @base_uribase_uri URI.new!(“`https://google.ca`”)

  def our_base do
    @base_uri |> URI.append_path(“/foo”)
  end
end

But in OTP 28 we are getting the following error:


> mix dialyzer
…

---

lib/app/test.ex:5:call_without_opaque
Function call without opaqueness type mismatch.

Call does not have expected term of type %URI{
:authority => URI.authority(),
:fragment => nil | binary(),
:host => nil | binary(),
:path => nil | binary(),
:port => nil | char(),
:query => nil | binary(),
:scheme => nil | binary(),
:userinfo => nil | binary()
} (with opaque subterms) in the 1st position.

URI.append_path(
%URI{
:authority => nil,
:fragment => nil,
:host => <<103, 111, 111, 103, 108, 101, 46, 99, 97>>,
:path => nil,
:port => 443,
:query => nil,
:scheme => <<104, 116, 116, 112, 115>>,
:userinfo => nil
},
<<47, 102, 111, 111>>
)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This looks like something to report to the elixir repo.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

OK I tried it out and it seems the error is still present on the v1.19 branch :cry:

Will open an issue.

Edit: issue link: Opaqueness warning on OTP28 · Issue #14750 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

hez

hez OP

Thank you!

lud

lud

Hello,

Running into that tonight, and I’m not sure how to fix it without a dialyzer ignore.

I’m not sure I really understand the problem. Is dialyzer complaining that the given authority is not somehow inheriting the opaqueness? I tried to add nil which corresponds to the type, but I still have the error.

If I understand correctly, instead of this:

URI.to_string(%URI{scheme: scheme, host: host, port: port, authority: nil})

We should have something like this?:

URI.to_string(%URI{scheme: scheme, host: host, port: port, authority: URI.nil_authority()})

# module URI

@spec nil_authority :: authority
def nil_authority, do: nil

(When I say “we should” it’s only about making dialyzer happy again, I know it’s otherwise useless to specify the authority key to its default).

Currently my workaround is to use URI.parse which is more fragile because it involves string manipulation, or @dialyzer {:no_opaque, ...}. Is there a real proper solution to build URI structs from known data (scheme,host,etc)


Erlang/OTP 28 [erts-16.3] [source] [64-bit] [smp:12:12] [ds:12:12:10] [async-threads:1] [jit:ns]

Elixir 1.19.5 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 28)
sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

For what it’s worth, we removed the opaqueness on authority (PR) on main/1.20rc but there hasn’t been a version after 1.19.5 to backport these changes.

So :no_opaque as a temporary stop-gap makes sense.

lud

lud

Thank you :slight_smile:

grossvogel

grossvogel

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong, b/c I’m still seeing errors in my project despite the related Elixir issues being closed as fixed. To test, I created a brand new mix project with this code

defmodule TmpDialyzerProject do
  @spec produce() :: MapSet.t(integer())
  def produce, do: MapSet.new([1, 2, 3])

  @spec consume(MapSet.t(integer())) :: list(integer())
  def consume(deleted) do
    MapSet.new([4, 5, 6])
    |> MapSet.difference(deleted)
    |> MapSet.to_list()
  end

  def driver, do: consume(produce())
end

and the result of mix dialyzer in Elixir 1.20.1 and OTP 28.4 is

lib/tmp_dialyzer_project.ex:12:27:call_without_opaque
Function call without opaqueness type mismatch.

Call does not have expected term of type %MapSet{:map => :sets.set(_)} (with opaque subterms) in the 1st position.

TmpDialyzerProject.consume(%MapSet{:map => %{1 => [], 2 => [], 3 => []}})

________________________________________________________________________________

Are folks still using the opaque exclusions, or is there something else I can do to resolve these?

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

Thanks for sharing @grossvogel. This issue is un-killable :zombie:

You’re not doing anything wrong. But unfortunately I fear we’re getting out of options here to deal with it in the language itself.

I managed to silence it using the following two workarounds:

def produce do
 # option 1: un-inline the MapSet creation so it's not a literal anymore
 list = [1, 2, 3])
 MapSet.new(list)
end

or

# option 2: replace produce/0 by a module attr
@produce MapSet.new([1, 2, 3])
def driver, do: consume(@produce)

But honestly it might be better to just explicitly disable opaqueness checks when working with MapSet rather than jumping through hoops and try to trick dialyzer.

grossvogel

grossvogel

OK, thanks for the help! I’ll go ahead and disable opaqueness checks

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews