clmay
Hi there,
I’m currently following an Elixir tutorial and I have the following lines of code in my project:
Path.join([path, file])
|> File.read!
|> split
|> process(post)
When I run mix format, it gets turned into this:
Path.join([path, file])
|> File.read!()
|> split
|> process(post)
I know this is a minor gripe, but I find it annoying/ugly that (optional) parentheses are added to File.read!/1 but not split/1…
How can I configure mix format not to add (optional) parentheses to functions with no/implicit arguments?
I am aware of the .formatter.exs options import_deps: [...] and locals_without_parens: [...] but could not figure out how to add File.read! to these in a way that mix format would accept.
Any ideas?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
You can not configure the treatment of
File.read!/1, as it is not a “local”.:locals_without_parenswill only ever work for unqualified calls, those you write without a module in fron tof them.And parenthesis aren’t really optional, they are considered best practice by the community and most of us actually agree on the formatter in the regard of adding them unconditionally. I’d even consider it a bug, that none are added to
split/1.The main reason why parens have been made optional for the compiler, is probably to make things like
defanddefmodulewritable without having to wrap parenthesis to their arguments.clmay
This is fine – conversely then, how can I make
mix formatrespect best practices and add parentheses to the call tosplit/1?tadasajon
I’d like to understand how to enforce parentheses everywhere possible as well.
marcandre
For those interested, the latest formatter plugin
freedom_formatternow has the option to add parenthesis for these calls.