Slesa

Slesa

I read the book “Domain Modelllng Made Functional” several times. And it was absolute clear, that I want to have some types sich as

“Unchecked Order” – read → “Verified Order” – send → “Dispatched Order”

to be sure, that I always deal with the right type of order, for what reason soever. An unread order cannot be send to database for example.

But as Elixir has not really a type system (yet) - is this the right way to go, or how would I deal with this? When I get an order, I need to verify waiter rights. I have to check if I have to ask for length, price, weight, article text, constrainted articles… would I reflect these rules by types? Or would I simply trust on the pipe chain?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

Perhaps you could use structs?

@spec read(UncheckedOrder.t()) :: VerifiedOrder.t()
def read(%UncheckedOrder{} = order) do
  # ...
end
# ...

@spec send(VerifiedOrder.t()) :: DispatchedOrder.t()
def send(%VerifiedOrder{} = order) do
  # ...
end
# ...

?

katafrakt

katafrakt

That is a bit of my problem with many resources about functional programming - they cover static typing instead, which makes it not particularly well transferable to Elixir (or Clojure, or some others). In this case use different structs, as @RudManusachi mentioned, but in my experience this will quickly start to feel weird and overengineered (at least that’s my experience, but maybe I did that wrong and someone could share a success story of this approach in Elixir).

IMO Elixir needs to find its own way to do functional modeling, DDD etc, because copying from Scala or F# won’t work. I wrote something about this few years ago, but this is just scratching the surface (and not necessarily the only direction).

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Maybe like this?

  defmodule Order do
    @type t( status) ::
      %__MODULE__{
        id: Ecto.UUID.t(),
        status: status
      }

    defstruct [ :id, :status]
  end

  @spec send_order( Order.t( :verified)) :: :ok | { :error, :unverified_order}
  def send_order( order)

  def send_order( %{ status: :verified}) do
    :ok
  end

  def send_order( %{ status: _}) do
    { :error, :unverified_order}
  end

D4no0

D4no0

What is the problem with using just data with a specific structure and pattern matching? It achieves exactly the same thing and I would say for basic cases it’s easier to read.

The functions can be exactly as @DaAnalyst mentioned, but it doesn’t mean that you necessarily need a struct.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That’s exactly what many of us do but the sentiment expressed in many such discussions is that sometimes there occurs a “struct bloat” or “too many different types of maps we’re matching on in function heads”-bloat. Which I’ve also seen happening. There are ways around it, of course.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

One problem I find with this approach is refactoring. Something like “find all occurences of this map shape” and rename a key there. Or make sure certain key is only of type integer etc.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yeah, that’s why I prefer to just add more structs. It gets annoying but it’s more future-proof.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews