Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix (Pragprog)

pragprog
book-functional-web-development-with-elixir-otp-and-phoenix
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc82fd34830> #<Tag:0x00007fc82fd346f0>

How much Phoenix does it cover Michael? Could you jump straight into this without first having read Programming Phoenix?

The section on adding a phoenix interface is very well written. It has the best examples of channels and presence that I’ve seen so far, but it’s not heavy on phoenix. The way he does it, you don’t have to worry about how phoenix works, yet in two chapters you get light javascript clients talking to phoenix channels and a stateful backend api; all the essential components of a modern web app. And, you get to see some of the CRDT (conflict-free replicated datatype) features in phoenix!

Thanks @axelclark! Great to hear that you both enjoyed the book and implemented another frontend! <3 <3 <3

Thank you so much @oldpond! I thought a lot about what material was really necessary to get people up and running as well as the best way to present it. Great to hear that you appreciated the approach! <3 <3 <3

You’re welcome. That moment when you added a few lines of javascript to the default phoenix page and we were talking to the back end was the highlight of the entire book for me.

If the book were a novel, that would be the climax of the plot!