sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel

I am trying to send attachment inside email from my phoenix application using Bamboo.

Library used:
nimble_csv
bamboo
bamboo_smtp

The attachment is in-memory data that I am getting after parsing the CSV and making some changes into it. I don’t want to save the CSV file so using the in-memory approach.

def dump_to_csv(list) do
    [~w(ORIGINAL_URL NEW_URL)] ++ list
      |> ShortnerParser.dump_to_iodata()
      |> prepare_mail
      |> Mailer.deliver_later
  end

def prepare_mail(data) do
    attachment = %Bamboo.Attachment{content_type: "application/octet-stream", filename: "shortner.csv", data: data}
    Email.send_csv("myemail@gmail.com", attachment)
  end

Error I am getting:

[error] Task #PID<0.1556.0> started from #PID<0.1492.0> terminating
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Base.encode64/2
    (elixir) lib/base.ex:371: Base.encode64([["ORIGINAL_URL", 44, "NEW_URL", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/ldhkRf", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/n594Hy", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/Kl67G5", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/Ct17TM", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/w1gX_x", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/1lqoLr", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/R_u3Yq", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/elXe4V", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/13hn32", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/j9uiKL", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/c3pzUB", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/Yhb7Kv", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/19PS7z", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/LvHqO1", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/teJagz", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/MBYX_e", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/DfpQ25", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/jLFq6P", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/xM7Jg3", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/IM2RG6", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/1X2IZ8", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/KKo0kt", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/YvTW_p", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/iwLt7L", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/DoIvwE", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/ZMe3dE", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/CGEIa1", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/Z6fPMT", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", 10], ["https://facebook.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/zYpNgG", 10], ["https://google.com", 44, "https://localhost:4000/MYQdRu", 10], ["https:pharmeasy.in", 44, "invalid_url", ...], ["https://facebook.com", 44, ...], ["https://google.com", ...], [...], ...], [])
    (bamboo_smtp) lib/bamboo/adapters/smtp_adapter.ex:214: Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.add_attachment_body/2
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1314: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2
    (bamboo_smtp) lib/bamboo/adapters/smtp_adapter.ex:233: Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.add_attachments/3
    (bamboo_smtp) lib/bamboo/adapters/smtp_adapter.ex:278: Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.body/1
    (bamboo_smtp) lib/bamboo/adapters/smtp_adapter.ex:360: Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.to_gen_smtp_message/1
    (bamboo_smtp) lib/bamboo/adapters/smtp_adapter.ex:76: Bamboo.SMTPAdapter.deliver/2
    (elixir) lib/task/supervised.ex:89: Task.Supervised.do_apply/2
    (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Function: #Function<0.73693256/0 in Bamboo.TaskSupervisorStrategy.deliver_later/3>
    Args: []

Showing Posts 1 to 6

NobbZ

NobbZ

You need to pass in a binary, rather than iodata.

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

How can I do that can you please help me with that?

Sorry that was lame question below method did the trick.

def convert_to_binary(data) do
    data
      |> IO.iodata_to_binary
  end

Thanks.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You can simply use the to_string function.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I could be wrong, but I think to_string is not equivalent to IO.iodata_to_binary. to_string expects a list of codepoints, but IO.iodata_to_binary expects any integers in the list to be bytes:

iex(2)> "hełło" |> String.to_charlist |> IO.iodata_to_binary
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    :erlang.iolist_to_binary([104, 101, 322, 322, 111])
iex(2)> "hełło" |> String.to_charlist |> to_string          
"hełło"

I don’t know if this makes any difference if what you start with is an iolist though.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Interesting nuance. It’s just that I very early learned to use to_string on iolists and kind of never questioned it because it always worked well (and without botching encoding).

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Gotcha. If I had to guess, IO.iodata_to_binary is gonna perform better because it only needs to concern itself with bytes.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews