ausimian

ausimian

Garnish is a Terminal UI Framework based on the Ratatouille view architecture, but adapted for Erlang’s ssh framework.

Sitting on :ssh - as an ssh_cli server channel - allows secure remote access to the Elixir app. The view architecture, shamelessly copied from Ratatouille, enables simple TUI apps to be built, typically for operator/admin experiences (which is the use case I have). Under the covers, the logical render of the view is translated into terminal escape sequences. This is also removes the need for the ex_termbox NIF that Ratatouille required.

I did diverge a little the app model, which I made a little more idiomatic from an OTP perspective, but the view modules and the render/1 callback are exactly as they were in Ratatouille.

This is the initial early release, expect some rough edges. EDIT: Notably, it only supports xterm-256color right now and is untested on other terminals, but it will pretty easy to add others, which I plan to do.

https://github.com/ausimian/garnish

Showing Posts 1 to 6

mlambie

mlambie

I’m using this library on two different projects at the moment, and wanted to share how helpful it’s been. Exposing a TUI dashboard over SSH is tremendously valuable, and I look forward to future developments!

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

This is so cool! A modern foundation of text BBS and MUD, anyone? I had similar idea awhile back but got intimidated by the amount of work it would require. Thanks again for the library; I will use it in a future project.

Have you connected with the author of Ratatouille? It would make a lot of sense if you can work together to extract out the view layer as a separate library.

Another idea is to fuse the Mosh server with Garnish, so client can connect with mosh client instead of ssh to enjoy roaming, auto-reconnecting, and latency optimization. It will be a lot of work but the benefit is huge.

ausimian

ausimian OP

Garnish is exactly the ratatouille view framework with some module renaming. I spoke to the author and he was happy to see the code reused.

The rendering code is more expensive than I’d like but it’s fine for a few users which is my use-case, so I’m unlikely to invest too much time chasing this down.

ausimian

ausimian OP

As to extracting the code as a library this would be straightforward but not currently on my todo list

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Curious to see this project in action, but the Asciinema recording on the GitHub project page seems to have expired.

ausimian

ausimian OP

Oh I didn’t even realise that was a thing, thx for letting me know

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews