gmile

gmile

How does one approach gathering runtime statistics about function calls from modules that belong to a specific app?

In my app, using a combination of decorator and telemetry packages, I am able to collect statistics about function calls like this:

defmodule MyApp.FunctionTracing do
  use Decorator.Define, span: 0

  def span(body, context) do
    quote do
      metadata = %{
        function: "#{unquote(context.module)}.#{unquote(context.name)}/#{unquote(length(context.args))}"
      }

      :telemetry.span([:my_app, :function_call], metadata, fn ->
        {unquote(body), metadata}
      end)
    end
  end
end

defmodule MyApp.MyModule do
  use MyApp.FunctionTracing

  @decorate span()
  def create_session(args) do
    # ...
  end
end

This is then exposed via a family of telemetry packages in a form of GET /metrics endpoint for Prometheus collector to come and pick up.

I can do the above manually for functions that I suspect may not be called. Could someone think of a way to scale this approach? E.g. is there a way I could tell Elixir compiler: please, when compiling ALL modules that belong to my own app, do wrap them in such a way?

The end goal here is to highlight & eliminate dead from from a fairly large codebase. Having all functions instrumented this way, I’d deploy the code in staging or production, collect the statistics for a week or two, then use it to base decisions about code clean up.

Or is this too crazy of a thing to want for such a use case? :slight_smile: If it’s too crazy, what would be a good alternative?

I’ve heard one could go a long way with tools already available in Erlang VM / stdlib for tracing and such, - if so, could someone point me in the right direction? At this point all I’m interested in is just counting all function calls coming from modules that belong to my own app.

Ideally, after a week or two of “counting”, I could filter out all function calls with 0 calls, and begin cleaning up the code.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d start with GitHub - hauleth/mix_unused: Find unused functions in your project · GitHub unless you’re using apply in many places.

gmile

gmile OP

Thanks for bringing this one up - we tried it, and eventually were able to removed some code.

Btw, in our case because the main app is an umbrella type app (working on removing the “umbrela” from it atm…) which made the tool somewhat fail to work. So we ended up using a custom compilation tracing script to locate some of the un-used functions.

Next step currently is runtime analysis, and this is where am I looking for new ideas how to approach it.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This article discusses the BEAM’s tracing machinery and some of the Elixir wrappers available.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

And this is a much more practical introduction: Debugging With Tracing in Elixir
For elixir I suggest Extrace to also get elixir syntax for traces.

gmile

gmile OP

E.g. is there a way I could tell Elixir compiler: please, when compiling ALL modules that belong to my own app, do wrap them in such a way?

Btw I guess the following can be considered an answer to my question above:

voltone

voltone

This may be relatively safe in production:

On application startup, call :erlang.trace_pattern({:_, :_, :_}, true, [:call_count]). If code loading is dynamic (i.e. you’re not running as part of a release), also call :erlang.trace_pattern(:on_load, true, [:call_count]).

Then whenever you want to gather call stats for all public functions that have been called at least once:

for {m, _} <- :code.all_loaded(),
    {f, a} <- m.module_info(:functions),
    {:call_count, c} = :erlang.trace_info({m, f, a}, :call_count),
    c > 0,
  do: {{m, f, a}, c}   # or if you prefer: {"#{inspect(m)}.#{f}/#{a}", c}

If you want to include functions that were never called, just drop the c > 0, line.

Or, for your use-case of finding unused functions in a given application:

app = :my_app
for m <-  Application.spec(app)[:modules],
    {f, a} <- m.module_info(:functions),
    {:call_count, c} = :erlang.trace_info({m, f, a}, :call_count),
    c == 0,
  do: {{m, f, a}, c}   # or if you prefer: {"#{inspect(m)}.#{f}/#{a}", c}

In that case you can also selectively enable call count tracing for only the modules of your application, instead of for all modules in the system.

You can reset the counters with :erlang.trace_pattern({:_, :_, :_}, :restart, [:call_count]) or stop tracing with :erlang.trace_pattern({:_, :_, :_}, false, [:call_count]).

gmile

gmile OP

This is pure gold. I’m going to try this, thank you so much for taking the time to write examples!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews