scoop

scoop

Dear all,

Question

Should I make any changes to the code generated by gen_auth for it to use UTC?

  • The User schema has a field field :confirmed_at, :naive_datetime – change this to :utc_datetime_usec?
  • Same module, function confirm_changeset has now = NaiveDateTime.utc_now() |> NaiveDateTime.truncate(:second) – change to DateTimeand remove the truncation?
  • Change the migration for :users to add :confirmed_at, :utc_datetime?

I’m asking because I feel I’m missing something obvious and I haven’t found this covered somewhere. Feels like I’ve been wasting a whole lot of time on this.

The Setup

I’m starting a brand new project and I want to set it up as neatly as possible from the very beginning.

I have MyApp.Schema module that sets up binary IDs and options for timestamps as :utc_datetime_usec.

defmodule MyApp.Schema do
  defmacro __using__(_) do
    quote do
      use Ecto.Schema
      import Ecto.Changeset
      @primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
      @foreign_key_type :binary_id
      @timestamps_opts [type: :utc_datetime_usec]
    end
  end
end

Also, in config.exs I have set the option for migration_timestamps like this.

config :my_app,
  ecto_repos: [MyApp.Repo],
  generators: [binary_id: true],
  migration_timestamps: [type: :utc_datetime_usec]

Showing Posts 1 to 1

aglundahl

aglundahl

If I understand things correctly, :naive_datetime is only the default in Ecto because of compatibility reasons. See this for example: Why use `utc_datetime` over `naive_datetime` for Ecto? - #4 by wojtekmach.

So yes, just go with :utc_datetime_usec!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews