vshesh
I’m running the fluidsynth server and want to send noteon events from elixir to the fluidsynth process.
I can do
$ nc localhost 8000
> noteon 0 40 100
And I hear a sound being played… when I use :gen_tcp I do not see the same results:
iex(10)> {:ok, sock} = :gen_tcp.connect({127,0,0,1}, 8000, [:binary, active: true])
{:ok, #Port<0.7>}
iex(11)> :gen_tcp.send(sock, "noteon 0 40 100")
:ok
… nothing gets played though. I’m guessing I have some option incorrect? I need to use something other than :binary maybe since these are plain strings?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jarimatti
Does the protocol expect lines that are separated by newline
\n? Netcat sends the newline character over (if you press enter) and the Elixir code sends the string but not the newline.Does sending
"noteon 0 40 100\n"from Elixir work? That’s one difference I can think of.If you need to receive line-based data see also the Erlang docs for inet:setopts, specifically
{packet, line}. It only applies to received packets.proxima
Without knowing anything about fluidsynth, that looks like it might be a line-based tcp protocol given the lack of size headers or the like.
Have you tried adding a ‘\n’ or ‘\r\n’ to the end? Netcat is probably sending them implicitly as you press enter.
vshesh
Yup that was it thank you!