General news about other languages/frameworks etc

For general news about / things happening in other languages.

Seems like an alternative to Rust in some cases:

2 Likes

from project’s github:
“WARNING! This is a research project 
 Don’t use it for anything important!”
Hard to imagine the use case

1 Like

Yep, I guessed that somebody will come up with this one. :wink:

To me, research/evaluation is an use case on its own, plus such sentences are often written to protect the author from annoying issues.

In principle do I mean that it is an alternative due its “no GC” strategy, which is quite rare.

You might like to add “in the future” to my sentence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a combination :smiley:

2 Likes

But I assume usage of this is similar to sql lite -> embeded database
Where

• Datatomic is made for cloud
  • Datascript is made to be embedded in web applications
2 Likes

That sounds very interesting. Makes sense given the scope of a desktop application. Would like to see some more examples of data modeling using it though. Has anyone here tried it?

2 Likes

Yes, they develop it to include it in Mozillas Firefox :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a F# webframework, which is accordingly to its developer ‘heavily inspired by Phoenix’ :grinning:

6 Likes

Very fascinating, if you ask me:

ML like Rust which is embeddable

6 Likes

I guess we’ve now come full circle, kind of: Rust was originally made in OCaml (and actually was much more similar to OCaml than it is now) and now we have a very ML-like language made in Rust. :smiley:

It does tickle the right nose hairs, I agree. They’ve made an impressive amount of work on this, so I guess it’s not just a toy either.

Cool!

4 Likes

I hope they adopt it for Amethyst, the data oriented game engine in Rust.

This is by the way, from where I know the language.

1 Like

One immutable map which makes a full database. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The MLton project pioneered the “monomorphizing” compiler.

Normally functions like map : (a → b) → List a → List b produce generic code that can work on any list, but if you happen to know that it is used as map : (Int → Int) → List Int → List Int you could use a denser memory representation for the List Int, leading to quite serious performance improvements. Less indirection and less garbage generated!

1 Like

I think I’ve mentioned it before on this forum, but I think this crowd would appreciate Pony.

1 Like

Yeah, I just read their homepage (again), inspired by one post here in the forum. :slight_smile:

Its very interesting how they mix OO with FP, especially since it seems that obvious that I ask myself why nobody else has done it before so?

Very promising

1 Like

Looks neat:

2 Likes

Weak
 Real active text is turning the trix editor into a collaborative text editor backed by Operational Transformation or CRDT implemented in Elixir and which communicates with the frontend using Phoenix Channels.

JIT in Ruby sounds interesting.
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2018/05/31/ruby-2-6-0-preview2-released/

Rails 6 coming soon

Some nice additions there, Action Mailbox looks really handy:

Action Mailbox routes incoming emails to controller-like mailboxes for processing in Rails. It ships with ingresses for Amazon SES, Mailgun, Mandrill, Postmark, and SendGrid. You can also handle inbound mails directly via the built-in Exim, Postfix, and Qmail ingresses. The foundational work on Action Mailbox was done by George Claghorn and yours truly.