cgrimmett

cgrimmett

Hello there,

I would like to generate a storyboard image using elixir. Firstly, I found a ffmpeg incantation which does what I want.

ffmpeg -y -i ~/Videos/moose-encounter_75.mp4 -frames:v 1 -vf 'select=not(mod(n\,257)),scale=160:-1,tile=5x5' -update 1 -fps_mode passthrough ~/Videos/thumb.jpg

The output looks like the following

I found there’s a ffmpeg library for Elixir called FFmpex. There aren’t many ffmpex examples in the wild, but I was able to hack something together which got me 90% there. Following is the code I have so far.

  def create_thumbnail(input_file, output_file) do

    case get_video_framecount(input_file) do
      {:error, reason} -> {:error, reason}
      {:ok, framecount} ->

        frame_interval = div(framecount, 25)
        scale_width = 160
        tile_grid = "5x5"

        command =
          FFmpex.new_command
          |> add_global_option(option_y())
          |> add_input_file(input_file)
          |> add_output_file(output_file)
            |> add_file_option(option_vframes(1))
            |> add_file_option(option_filter_complex("select=not(mod(n\\,#{frame_interval})),scale=#{scale_width}:-1,tile=#{tile_grid}"))
            |> add_file_option(option_vsync(1))                  # -vsync is deprecated in ffmpeg but ffmpex doesn't have it's modern replacement func
            # |> add_file_option(option_update(1))               # ffmpeg complains but it doesn't necessarily need this. I'm omitting because ffmpex doesn't know this function
            # |> add_file_option(option_fps_mode("passthrough")) # -fps_mode is the modern replacement for -vsync, but ffmpex doesn't have that func

        execute(command)
    end
  end

Little side note, get_video_framecount/1 is a function which uses ffmpex to call ffprobe and ultimately get the number of frames from the video stream.

  def get_video_framecount(file_path) do
    case FFprobe.streams(file_path) do
      {:ok, streams} ->
        streams
        |> Enum.find(fn stream -> stream["codec_type"] == "video" end)
        |> case do
          nil -> {:error, "No video stream found"}
          video_stream ->
            nb_frames =
              video_stream
              |> Map.get("nb_frames", %{})

            case nb_frames do
              nil -> {:error, "nb_frames not found"}
              nb_frames ->
                case Integer.parse(nb_frames) do
                  {number, _} -> {:ok, number}
                end
            end
        end

      {:error, reason} -> {:error, reason}
    end
  end

The problem with create_thumbnail/2 is on the ffmpex option_filter_complex/1 line. I don’t think I have the syntax correct, because I see an error when I run the code.

** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (ffmpex 0.11.0) lib/ffmpex.ex:193: FFmpex.validate_contexts!/2
    (ffmpex 0.11.0) lib/ffmpex.ex:117: FFmpex.add_file_option/2
    (bright 0.1.0) lib/bright/images.ex:80: Bright.Images.create_thumbnail/2
    iex:1: (file)

I’m still learning Elixir, so I wasn’t able to make sense of FFmpex’s source code. It looks like the codebase is dynamically generating the options functions (very cool!), but there isn’t much documented usage for the actual option_filter_complex/1 function. The docs linked me to ffmpex/lib/ffmpex/options/advanced.ex at a190c03e706a6c770d7f7fbd3e681803933d0927 · talklittle/ffmpex · GitHub which got me started, but I’ll have to do some more digging in to understand.

My biggest question right now is what type of argument option_filter_complex/1 accepts. Is it supposed to be a string? A map? Not sure yet.

I’m just putting this here for now, documenting what I learn.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

cgrimmett

cgrimmett OP

Success! The key was to use option_vf/1, not option_filter_complex/1 (and it accepts a string as argument).

Full command as follows


  def get_video_framecount(file_path) do
    case FFprobe.streams(file_path) do
      {:ok, streams} ->
        streams
        |> Enum.find(fn stream -> stream["codec_type"] == "video" end)
        |> case do
          nil -> {:error, "No video stream found"}
          video_stream ->
            nb_frames =
              video_stream
              |> Map.get("nb_frames", %{})

            case nb_frames do
              nil -> {:error, "nb_frames not found"}
              %{} -> {:error, "nb_frames not found. (empty map)"}
              nb_frames ->
                case Integer.parse(nb_frames) do
                  {number, _} -> {:ok, number}
                end
            end
        end

      {:error, reason} -> {:error, reason}
    end
  end


  def create_thumbnail(input_file, output_file) do

    case get_video_framecount(input_file) do
      {:error, reason} -> {:error, reason}
      {:ok, framecount} ->

        frame_interval = div(framecount, 25)
        scale_width = 160
        tile_grid = "5x5"

        # ffmpeg -y -i ~/Videos/moose-encounter_75.mp4 -frames:v 1 -vf 'select=not(mod(n\,257)),scale=160:-1,tile=5x5' -update 1 -fps_mode passthrough ~/Videos/thumb.jpg
        command =
          FFmpex.new_command
          |> add_global_option(option_y())
          |> add_input_file(input_file)
          |> add_output_file(output_file)
            |> add_file_option(option_vframes(1))
            |> add_file_option(option_vf("select=not(mod(n\\,#{frame_interval})),scale=#{scale_width}:-1,tile=#{tile_grid}"))
            |> add_file_option(option_vsync(1))                  # -vsync is deprecated in ffmpeg but ffmpex doesn't have the modern replacement, -fps_mode
            # |> add_file_option(option_update(1))               # ffmpeg complains but it doesn't necessarily need this. I'm omitting because ffmpex doesn't know this function
            # |> add_file_option(option_fps_mode("passthrough")) # -fps_mode is the modern replacement for -vsync

        execute(command)
    end
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews