dogukanzorlu

dogukanzorlu

Hi everyone,

As you know, Elixir does not have a built-in pprof library. In general Erlang/Elixir has very powerful and diverse profiling tools and as a cultural difference it doesn’t have pprof for observation at least like golang. However, you may not use or support Elixir with tools that use pprof ad-hoc.

I am happy to announce to you this library, in which I try to generate as meaningful pprof as possible using fprof.

Please do not hesitate for any kind of positive or negative criticism and support. I am open to any contribution that wants to provide support on a wider scale. Also, please don’t skip the parts that you think could have been written better on the basis of code :slight_smile: Do not ignore the fact that I created this library in 2 days and it is very lacking :slight_smile:

Documentation
Hex documentation: Pprof

Aim
The observation and profiling culture of erlang and elixir is different from other languages.
Elixir/Erlang runs on a virtual machine (a.k.a beam) and each block of code represents a process.
Erlang provides many tools internally for monitoring abstracted processes and processes dependent functions.
This library produces as meaningful pprof output as possible using the built-in Erlang profiling tools. Thus, it tries to spread the Erlang/Elixir observability with pprof-based ad-hoc profiling tools.

A few important things

  • This library an experimental and still under development, a library that needs to be careful to use on the production line.
  • The accuracy of the outputs has been proven by testing with cross-tools. But this alpha version does not offer a full pprof service.
  • fprof significantly slows down the application it is running on. It monitors all processes and collects their tracing data.
    Therefore, even a 10-second data collection in large-scale applications can mean GBs of data.
    It is recommended that the scrape seconds do not exceed 5 in order not to get lost in the abundance of data. More information: :fprof

https://github.com/dogukanzorlu/pprof

Thanks!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews