fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m trying to define an Ecto table schema that includes a column that is used to uniquely identify rows but is NOT the primary key. Think of a short coupon code.

Although I could use PostGres’ UUID or GUID feature, I would prefer to use a shorter key for 2 reasons:

  1. They take up less memory. A smaller string requires less memory.
  2. It is extremely inconvenient to rely on huge UUID or GUID keys – think of the pain they will cause customer service who must refer to each record with those long-winded strings.

I’m not seeing any information in Ecto.Schema — Ecto v3.14.0 that explains how to add a key to column, let alone something that demonstrates how to set up a custom mutator that would let me generate a unique value for a column. Can anyone let me know what I missed? Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

halostatue

halostatue

You’re going to want to make sure that you create unique_index(:code_table, [:code]) in your migration, and then you just need to make sure that when you create an Ecto.Changeset, you have something that will put a generated code if it doesn’t already exist.

voughtdq

voughtdq

@halostatue has answered your first question. Now as to your other question – about the keys. I’ve had success with the custom_base library. It generates code for a custom BaseN encoder/decoder.

defmodule MyBase do
  use CustomBase, ~c(0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz) # <-- you can customize these chars
                                                           # notice it is NOT a string!

  def encode(integer)

  def decode(binary)

  def decode!(binary)
end

The nice thing about this one is that you can continue to use integer keys (so actually you wouldn’t have to change much). When looking up the coupon code, you’d just decode it.

In this example, our coupon code is “jjp” which would come from the row id 25333:

iex(1)> MyBase.encode(25333)
"jjp"
iex(2)> MyBase.decode!("jjp")
25333

There might be concern about someone finding this pattern, so you could use a different order for the characters:

~c(a3oqmcylhd0w81v642eipzr9b5g7tufknsjx)

Or, if these coupon codes will be spoken over the phone, you might remove certain characters that can be misheard (i.e. b, c, d, e, p, t, v, and z are easy to mishear because they have the /iː/ sound at the end).

~c(0123456789adfhijklmoqruwxy)

Of course keeping in mind that you can shuffle the characters to avoid any exploitation/prediction of the next coupon code in a sequence.

Finally - you have to be careful with this method. You will have to maintain it for the life of the youngest coupon code generated using this method.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews