jordelver

jordelver

I have a form where a user submits their email, a record is inserted into the database, and the database id is added to the session. They are then redirected to a LiveView where the session is passed.

In case the user closes their browser or they want to find their page for any reason, I want to send an email and SMS containing a link. When they click the link they should end up back on their particular page.

So I need to generate a token for them.

Phoenix.Token seems like it would work, but it generates a long string, which would work fine for sending in an email, but is too long for an SMS.

Is it secure enough to just generate a random token, save to the database, and include that in a URL? What length is considered “good enough”?

No personal information is available on the user’s page and the page is short lived.

I’m paranoid about security after reading so much! Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hauleth

hauleth

Depends on your security margin requirements and expected amount of traffic.

dom

dom

OWASP is a good resource for this kind of question:

jordelver

jordelver OP

I’m not familiar with this term. Could you explain more?

This is a toy app at the moment but I want to learn the best practice in case it ever did take off.

jordelver

jordelver OP

Thank you, that’s really useful. Sounds like 16 bytes is the minimum for this sort of token.

jordelver

jordelver OP

I was just looking at how phx.auth.gen generates tokens and they do this:

token = :crypto.strong_rand_bytes(32)
hashed_token = :crypto.hash(:sha256, token)
Base.url_encode64(token, padding: false)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews