fireproofsocks
What needs to be done to make ExDoc play nice with an umbrella app? I can run something like
ex_doc "My Umbrella" "1.0.0" "_build/dev/lib/my_app/ebin/"
But you have to choose one of the component apps out of the _build directory, which feels pretty arbitrary.
Also, I’m not having much luck adding in my own markdown files to the docs… it’s well and good that my entire app gets crawled and docs are added for each and every module, but more important to me (and arguably to users) are the comments and explanations that exist primarily in stand-alone markdown files. I’ve tried copying tactics seen for the Phoenix repo, but ironically, I don’t see that those “extra” and “groups_for_extras” are documented anywhere.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
axelson
I think the page with the documentation that you’re looking for is mix docs — ExDoc v0.40.3 which can also be accessed by running
mix help docs. I agree that it could be easier to find. Do you remember which pages you were looking on? I’ll probably add a PR to add a link on Writing documentation — Elixir v1.20.2To add a markdown file to the docs you need to use the
:extraskey as documented inmix help docs. Also I’m not clear how you’re running ex_doc. Typically for an umbrella project where you want to generate docs for all the applications together I believe that you would addex_docas a dependency to the umbrella itself. And then simply runmix docsfrom the umbrella root.fireproofsocks
My scanning started on ExDoc — ExDoc v0.40.3 – I firmly believe that examples are paramount. Everything else is a nice-to-have. So I would clarify the
def project do ....bit (clarify that this is from yourmix.exs, and I would definitely include at least one more example that demonstrated the additional options that are available to the configuration (e.g. the groups_for_extras).The way that page is structured, I completely missed the tiny link to
mix docsand instead zeroed in on theex_docescript part. If themix docstool is the normal way of doing things and theex_docscript more of an alternative, then perhaps the formatting should correspond with that intended usage.When I tried
mix docsin my umbrella app, all my extras could not be found… should those be listed in each project in the repo or in themix.exsat the root of the umbrella? It’s possible to have 2 very different presentations depending on whether you’re viewing an individual app or the umbrella as a whole.api-reference.html– what is that and why would I want it created or not?I think the big thing with the umbrella is that all paths seem to off… I’m not sure if they’re supposed to be relative to the individual apps and I’m supposed to be doing all this docs configuration in the individual apps or not.
Sorry to be terse.
fireproofsocks
That does not seem to work, at least not with extras defined in the umbrella’s
mix.exsfireproofsocks
And also… if I try to run the
mix docsfrom an app in the umbrella:Docs: 1. Me: 0
expilo
It’s 2024 and I’m still getting the same UndefinedFunctionError when I try to run
mix docsin the umbrella. Has anybody figured out how to generate unified documentation for all the apps in the umbrella?LostKobrakai
I’m not sure on the progress, but I’ve heard this is on the roadmap given OTP adopted ex_doc and it’s also in need for consolidated multi app documentation.