GenServer/Agent/Concurrency Questions

• In GenServer the “waiting loop” is the part responsible for calling the various handle_ callbacks, you don’t get to see the loop because it is part of the generic OTP behaviour.
  • In Agent the “waiting loop” waits for messages to arrive. Those messages contain the functions sent to it to update it’s internal state - the state that gets to be maintained as part of the recursive loop call.

So really you should be focusing on GenServer as it is the natural progression from the recursive receive loop.

As far as I can tell Agent really isn’t about the notion of a process but it’s about about state management without autonomous access control modelled on how Clojure’s Agents manage shared state where it can only be accessed via special function calls.

GenServer completely controls its internal state and the way it’s accessed through the handle_ callbacks. Agent is completely at the mercy of the functions that are sent to it from other processes.

So as such GenServer has a far greater autonomy over it’s internal state than an Agent does.

So far I’ve tried implementing X as an Agent (I need to keep state (a stack of urls) on it) and Yn as GenServers.

I really don’t think Agent is a suitable solution here. Sounds more like X should be a GenServer while Yn could be Tasks (example). Tasks themselves aren’t based on GenServer but are just some (very useful) convenience code around spawn, link, receive.

5 Likes