GenServer.call(name, ...) fails due to non-registered name

For exercise’s sake, I am trying to make a home-grown pool-like parallel job runner. Imagine if I start 2 GenServers under a Supervisor and then want to enqueue 11 tasks to them; the way I’d do it is to use chunking and put 6 tasks on the call queue of the first server and then 5 on the call queue of the second server. In my mind this ensures always only 2 tasks will run due to the serial nature of GenServer message processing.

Note that I want to enqueue work from multiple processes; if it was only from one process then Task.async_stream or Task.Supervisor.async_stream[_no_link] would have been enough. Sadly their max_concurrency option does not offer VM-wide limitation of maximum amount of concurrently running jobs.

(Or maybe I am XY-problem-ing this, do tell me if you feel like I do – it’s just the first idea that popped in my mind and I decided to pursue it for the time being. Maybe I missed a readily available builtin API for exactly my purpose?)

Probably because I am coding at 6:00 AM shortly before bed but I can’t seem to be able to use a GenServer.call with a name that seems to me is explicitly given in GenServer.start_link.

Application
defmodule Zyx.Application do
  @moduledoc false

use Application

@impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      Zyx.Iterator
    ]

opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: Zyx.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end
Supervisor
defmodule Zyx.Iterator do
  use Supervisor

def start_link(init_arg) do
    Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, init_arg, name: __MODULE__)
  end

@impl true
  def init(_init_arg) do
    children = [
      %{
        id: :zyx_worker_0,
        start: {Zyx.Worker, :start_link, [:zyx_worker_0]},
        type: :worker
      },
      %{
        id: :zyx_worker_1,
        start: {Zyx.Worker, :start_link, [:zyx_worker_1]},
        type: :worker
      }
    ]

Supervisor.init(children, strategy: :one_for_one)
  end
end
GenServer
defmodule Zyx.Worker do
  use GenServer, shutdown: 30_000

# Server (callbacks)

@impl true
  def init(name) do
    {:ok, name}
  end

@impl true
  def handle_call({:run, fun}, from, state) when is_function(fun, 0) do
    IO.puts(
      inspect(DateTime.utc_now()) <>
        ": worker " <> inspect(state) <> " called from " <> inspect(from)
    )

Process.sleep(1000)

{:reply, nil, state}
  end

# Client

def start_link(name) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, name: name)
  end
end

For a first iteration I simply want to be able to hop in iex and do this:

GenServer.call(:zyx_worker_0, {:run, fn -> IO.puts("0") end})

But this fails with:

** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(:zyx_worker_0, {:run, #Function<45.65746770/0 in :erl_eval.expr/5>}, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
    (elixir 1.13.2) lib/gen_server.ex:1019: GenServer.call/3

Note that if I fetch the two worker IDs with Supervisor.which_children(Zyx.Iterator) and then use :erlang.list_to_pid to construct the PIDs manually, and then use GenServer.call(pid, ...), this works without a hitch.

What doesn’t work is calling the GenServers by name. And I am pretty sure I am missing something mega-obvious. :frowning:

Will you help a guy resolve his brain fart?

Additional ideas on how to approach a home-grown parallel job runner with VM-wide maximum concurrency are also welcome (but I admit I got a bit triggered by not being able to code this in 30 minutes so I’d still want to see it done exactly my way first, just to prove a point :003:).

Rubber-duck debugging in full effect! Fixed it 5 minutes after posing by this:

-     GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, name: name)
+     GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, name, name: name)

I was also able to remove the supervisor and just inject both GenServers directly into the app’s supervision tree.

:duck: :man_facepalming:

5 Likes