henrysdev

henrysdev

I have a multiplayer game backend that hosts many simultaneous game rooms as GenServers under a dynamic supervisor. Over the course of a game, one of the responsibilities of a game room GenServer is to track/accumulate the state of the game from beginning to end. After the game ends, the state is written to the database for tracking purposes (recording the result of each round, who won, etc etc).

As I add more and more intricate game state to be tracked, I’m starting to wonder about the scalability of such an approach.

Is there a limit on how large the internal state of a GenServer can be? Is there a good way to benchmark/graph the memory usage for a single GenServer using observer or something else? Will GenServer performance suffer due to having a huge internal state map (assuming immutable copies need to be made)?

Alternatively, I could persist and flush the game state data as I collect it rather than do one big series of DB writes at the end. However, the data model is hierarchical in nature so this would be a bit wonky. I’ve also considered storing the historical game state in an Agent or ETS temporarily before game end - would love any insight/second opinions!

Marked As Solved

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

So, you’re using one GenServer per game, which might go from ~4kb to ~400kb over ~5mins, and then at the end of the game, the GenServer saves some of the data to the database, and kills itself? Is that right?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Also Liked

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

I just started up a GenServer to hold a list of Strings, and added ~1mil characters at a time until I got to several hundred MB memory usage. No noticeable slowdown, neither with inserting new data, nor retrieving the data. Obviously this is not a very robust test, but it’s enough for me to think that if there is a performance issue, it would probably be from an inefficient update algorithm, or insufficient hardware, rather than a limitation of GenServer itself.

henrysdev

henrysdev OP

Ah yes - let me give more context

  • Games are pretty ephemeral; they are tracked entirely in memory during gameplay - they only last like 5 minutes and are not high stakes. I’m not worried about recovering a game in progress if it crashes.
  • A game consists of multiple rounds (between 3-10 rounds)
  • A game room has between 2-10 players in it, but I’m hoping to have many more at some point..
  • Every round, every player in the game submits a json blob payload to the server with a max size of ~4kb. This is where significant mem usage would accumulate over time in storing the history. I ultimately store these blobs in a json column in Postgres.

While I do know that Agents and ETS are also just in-memory storage solutions, I’m wondering if it’d be advantageous to split up the state between multiple processes vs just the one genserver.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews