larshei

larshei

Hey everyone,

I want to receive data from a gRPC stream.

So far, I only wrote functions, played around in iex and was able to receive and decode data. It is time to “applicationify” that previous work and add lifecycle management/processes. But somehow, the gRPC behaviour seems different in GenServer compared to the iex session? :thinking:

I found a similar post in the forum: Elixir-grpc can't receive stream response. Unexpected when waiting for headers- which ends on

Looks like GRPC.Stub.recv can’t be used in GenServers :thinking:

But that seems weird to me.

Setup in iex

Basically, the stripped down version looks something like this:

  # wrapper around GRPC.Stub.connect() that handles auth etc
  {:ok, channel} = SalesforceEvents.Grpc.connect()

  grpc_stream = Eventbus.V1.PubSub.Stub.subscribe(channel)
  GRPC.Stub.send_request(grpc_stream, Messages.request_data())
  {:ok, data_stream} = GRPC.Stub.recv(grpc_stream, timeout: 60_000)
  
  Enum.each(data_stream, &IO.inspect/1)
# shell blocks, protobuf-decoded data is printed as it comes in

Setup with GenServer

Same as above, but in a GenServer.

Handling incoming stream data with Enum.each is spawned as a separate process:

@impl true
def init(args) do
  {:ok, channel} = SalesforceEvents.Grpc.connect() 

  grpc_stream = Eventbus.V1.PubSub.Stub.subscribe(channel)
  GRPC.Stub.send_request(grpc_stream, Messages.request_data())
  {:ok, data_stream} = GRPC.Stub.recv(grpc_stream, timeout: 60_000)

  receiver_process =
    spawn_link(fn -> Enum.each(data_stream, &IO.inspect/1) end)

  state = %{
    channel: channel,
    grpc_stream: grpc_stream,
    data_stream: data_stream,
    receiver_process: receiver_process
  }

  {:ok, state}
end

def handle_info(info, state) do
   Logger.debug(inspect info)
  {:noreply, state}
end

Expected Behaviour

Received gRPC messages are still printed to the console

Actual Behaviour

Instead of the messages being printed, the handle_info receives messages like the following:

08:45:41.824 [debug] {:gun_data, pid<0.339.0>, reference<0.2404288951.1709178882.257606>, :nofin, <<0, 0, 0, 1, 198, 10, 145, 3, …>>}

Why does this behave differently (nothing is printed, messages are not decoded)?
How can I receive data from a gRPC stream within a process getting results similar to what I had in iex?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

larshei

larshei OP

Interestingly it works when I move

  grpc_stream = Eventbus.V1.PubSub.Stub.subscribe(channel)
  GRPC.Stub.send_request(grpc_stream, Messages.request_data())
  {:ok, data_stream} = GRPC.Stub.recv(grpc_stream, timeout: 60_000)

into the spawned process.

Do the subscribe and recv functions need to be called from the same process?

Why is that?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews