elbasti
Stylistic question:
When writing a genserver module, we often write a set of interface functions and (of course) the callbacks. Assume that there is some business logic (data manipulation of the received message, spawning multiple processes, etc).
Should that business logic be placed in the interface function, leaving a “thin” callback, or the other way around?
Especially if some of the business logic involves calling other interface functions, spawning tasks, etc.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
This question to me goes far beyond style, because the performance characteristics and failure modes are super different.
Let me first make sure I am capturing your question properly. You’re comparing these situations
vs
Style here is the absolute last consideration. Code executed in the interface function is executed in the caller process whereas code executed in the callback is executed in the genserver. The primary question at hand is whether or not it needs to access or have atomic control over the genserver state. If so it has to go in the callback. If it doesn’t, then you’d likely favor the client pid to avoid bottlenecking the genserver, since the genserver can only handle 1 message at a time.
Each case has very different failure modes too. If an exception is raised in
def some_actionthen this just crashes the caller pid, but the genserver remains. If you raise an exception inhandle_callthen this crashes both the genserver, and any currently linked caller pids.derek-zhou
It is not a style question but an architecture question. The point of a GenServer is to serialize and enforce state transition. So anything that need to be serialized should be in the callbacks. Anything that don’t should be in the interface function.